Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me with this picture

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

I want to upgrade my graphics, I took my comp into geek squad to ask about compatibility for a better graphics card than i have. He pointed to a spot on my motherboard and said it was an AGP slot (in yellow on image).
- first question after i had time to sit and think, was why was there no card plugged in to begin with? does the motherboard have its own graphics built in for basic use?
- second that slot doesnt have space on the backside in plug in the recommended cards that i find online. meaning, the accesory patches (circled in lime green) seem to be where i would install the graphics card, that way i can plug my dvi input into it.

can someone clear this up for me? i dont know the correct lingo when saying "accesory patches" or "graphics card" and so on so for give me if i may be confusing. the image is the exact model of my motherboard so i am using it to help clear some of the confusion up. hopefully.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 komputerfreek

komputerfreek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

EDIT: Removed unnecessary quote from initial post. It's not necessary to hit the "quote" button when replying within a thread, may waste bandwidth ~ Hamluis.

First question, there might not have been a card plugged in, most computers that you buy from retail stores are big chains do not supply you with one and use on-board graphics built into the motherboard. In order to play higher end games or do more graphic intensive task a graphics card would be needed.

Second question, correct me in I am wrong (to the next person who post after me) but to my knowledge that looks like a pci or pci express slot that you circled. It is hard to tell because the motherboard picture is small. Please provide the model of your computer and/or the model of the motherboard if you have it and someone would be able to tell you what kind of card you take. That might be why the AGP cards you are looking at seem to not fit.

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Would you please post the make and model of this motherboard?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

the motherboard is ASUS P4R800-VM. im pretty sure that the slot is AGP, the fitting issue is (circled in red on the image card) that there is no oppening for this piece to show up on the back of my computer. the green circled part on the motherboard image is the only place for that to show up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 komputerfreek

komputerfreek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Normally there would be a piece of metal that might have a screen on top of it covering the part that would stick out, feel free to remove it and install the card that way.

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2010 - 03:09 PM.
Again...removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

#6 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

there are for the green circled slots, there isnt for the yellow

#7 komputerfreek

komputerfreek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Can you take a picture of the back of your computer?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

The three slots are PCI, the one alone is an AGP.

The specifications for this board can be found here/.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

can i even get hd for pci

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I did a quick search at Newegg, there are five PCI graphics cards there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=1&name=PCI

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Remember that AGP card essentially goes in upside down, heatsink will be on the bottom. The backpanel opening will be below the level of the AGP slot. Check again.

Edited by dpunisher, 27 August 2010 - 06:32 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

thanks for the link dc3

dpunisher- sorry man dont know the lingo too well what is "heatsink"? i checked again and realized there is a slot for it. ha its just taken because theres a moniter output or something that connects to the motherboard, if you were to look directly under the left side of the green circle on the photo above it is plugged into that blue section.

#13 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

it is definitely an agp slot. you have ati integrated internal graphics, i can see the ati logo on the chip, near the pci slots in the pic. seeing that yo0u already have ati graphix, i would stick with ati, instead of nvidia. if you dont, you may have hardware conflicts between ati and nvidia.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

it is definitely an agp slot. you have ati integrated internal graphics, i can see the ati logo on the chip, near the pci slots in the pic. seeing that yo0u already have ati graphix, i would stick with ati, instead of nvidia. if you dont, you may have hardware conflicts between ati and nvidia.

Actually, they can add any card that is compatible with their motherboard. If the graphics card requires drivers that aren't native to the operating system, they generally will be provided by the manufacturer of the card. The integrated graphics that are part of the motherboard don't determine or relegate the use of any other dedicated graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users