Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a performance machine for 3D applications and gaming on a budget.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BionicPanda

BionicPanda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hello, I am currently attempting to build my first performance machine for 3D applications and gaming. As a super n00b I am more than willing to take critique. My budget for this endeavor is 700-800$. I already have an ATX mid tower(Raidmax Windstorm, with 500watt PSU included), as well a H55 motherboard(micro-ATX P7H55-M Pro), and lastly an Intel i3-530 CPU. I have cannabalized my optical drive and SATA drive from my old PC. I have spent 300$ so far, my question is with what I have so far, will it get me by for the purposes I mentioned and what graphics card should I be looking into and what RAM will work best for my build? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

The i3 is not a good CPU for gaming or 3D applications, you need at least an i5, i7, Phenom II, or Athlon II X4 to get best results. I would also be a little skeptical about a 500W included-with-the-case power supply as they usually aren't good enough to give decent performance with many graphics cards. Finally, I would have suggested a standard ATX motherboard as micro-ATX boards have heating issues. Before you consider the graphics card, I would first suggest a good power supply from Corsair, Silverstone, OCZ, Thermaltake, or PC Power in the 550W range. It's not always the wattage you have to be concerned about, but also the quality. For the graphics card, it really comes down to what you are going to be doing with the computer. Since this motherboard has only one PCI-E X16 slot, you don't have to worry about SLI or Crossfire. If you are a gamer who doesn't need super high frame rates, the SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB will get you by. If you play more fast paced games, or simply want greater performance, I would suggest the SPARKLE SXX4601024D5UNM GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB. If you want one of the higher-end cards, the XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB is suggested. Given that your motherboard is incapable of using SLI/Crossfire, I suggest either the second or third card. The Radeon 5850 is about 10 to 10.5 inches long depending on manufacturer, make sure your case has the necessary room if you purchase that one. As for the RAM, your system has four RAM slots taking DDR3-1333 with a maximum amount of RAM set at 16GB. I suggest CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333. It is a 4GB stick of RAM, four would be needed to max out your RAM however, most home users can make do with 4GB and high performance gaming PC's will do well around 8GB but that is more of a luxury. Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM.

Edited by DJBPace07, 26 August 2010 - 05:28 PM.

3939.png

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Depending on what you mean by "3D applications" and how seriously you will be using them you need a bigger budget. I agree with DJ on almost every point...you nedd ATX, a better power supply rated for your video card choice, I say either a I7 or a PhenomII(quad or hexa core). Also the cards are fine for gaming but in the world of true 3D apps will lack in performance. If your talking CAD, Lightwave, 3D Max, or other apps like that then I would say you need to look into an alternate card like the Quattro to suppliment your gaming card.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 BionicPanda

BionicPanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

Thank you very much for the advise, unfortunately I don't have a very big budget for this. I'm currently in college so my cash flow is limited, I would love to get a graphics card like the Quattro but damn that costs a lot. I think I'll return my i3 and upgrade to the i5 as i have heard from many that the i3 is not good for gaming or 3D. I'll upgrade the PSU to accommodate for the power consumption of a better card like the GTX 460 and i might even blow a little more for a 470. To answer your question of defining 3D applications, yes I mean Auto Desk(Maya and Unreal) as I use those at school. Well I hope that will get me by for the time being until I can afford more. I would love to be able to take my school work home and see it in all it's splendor on my PC and not get frustrated every time I needed to subdivide a model more than a few times and have my PC almost crash. Thanks again for all the input I now have a solid direction to look in for my future builds. :thumbsup:

Edited by BionicPanda, 27 August 2010 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users