Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Denver Legalizes Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

On Novemeber 1, 2005, the people of Denver, Colorado voted to legalize adult possession of one ounce or less of marijuana.

As a card-carrying memeber of NORML, I think this is a wonderful step towards ending the ridiculous laws surrounding marijuana usage.

So what does everyone else think? Are you for or against marijuana and why?

To read more about the Denver Initiative and read the language of the bill, click here.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

Am I really the only one out of 36034 registered members here who cares about reforming the marijuana laws?? :thumbsup:

Or, for that matter, I am the only one here with an opinion about marijuana at all?? :flowers:

- Arlo Guthrie

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

Oh I have an opinion on the subject. :thumbsup:

I believe it should stay outlawed. At least until a reliable test comes along that will indicate whether or not you are impair from it's use. I hear the argument that it's no worst than alcohol. May be it's not. The difference is there is a test that can tell me whether or not you are impaired at any particular moment. With marijuana there is a 28 day window. Right now law enforcement has a court approved field test, but it has it's limitations.

I have had 4 high school classmates killed murdered because the murders could not contain their weak minded drug/alcohol use to their residence. 3 were using alcohol and 1 a cocktail of drugs that included marijuana. My they burn in hell.

In the early to mid 90's I was a Sheriff's deputy. I saw first hand what marijuana, alcohol, and every other legal and illegal drug could do when abuse. In my observation there is no use for the tagged illegal drugs. The users are weak minded and often times self center thinking only of what they want with little regard for who their endulgance effects. FYI: I have been a Medic since '76 and a fire fighter since '80 and work in two different hospital in that time.

Personally I believe the users should be left alone. Execute the growers, importer, distributor, and even the low level dealers. Put he B-52's back in the air and level any country that supports drugs in any way. Make the price so high no one will want to be in range of this stuff.

As a fire fighter I rely on split second judgement, and cannot afford some pinhead impaired to endanger me or my brothers.

I don't want to be around persons who feel they cannot function without the luxury of being in an altered state on a regular basis.

Well you asked.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 HeistPCP

HeistPCP

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

If you believe that's the case, then you should also investigate the large legal conglomerates and the former presidents who have helped smuggled drugs into the US. In case you may not have known, cocaine and other various drugs have almost DOUBLED after the "war on terrorism."

#5 catweazle

catweazle

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

It's a double edged sword. As with most things, it can be abused. More people die from Alcohol and tobacco use.
Read this interesting article, you may be surprised as to the uses it can be put, it definately has tremendous advantages as a crop.

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=3774

Edited by catweazle, 05 November 2005 - 04:12 PM.

#6 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

Ok, just because Marijuana is legalized does not mean people are going to be stoned 24/7. There are some people that will be, but there are also people that try to be drunk 24/7.

I understand where you are coming from Acklan. And I agree that there does need to be a test to determine whether or not the person is under the influence of Marijuana at that precise moment. A Marijuana-breathalyzer, as it were.

I am very sorry for the loss of your classmates, but as you said, 3 were using Alcohol and 1 was using a cocktail of drugs that included marijuana. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money it was the other drugs that impaired that person's judgement the most. Did you know that there has never been a death attributed soley to the use marijuana? Not once in recorded history. In acuality, to overdose fom Marijuana, a person would have to smoke the equivilant of 900 joints in just about 15 minutes (Quoted from Time Magazine. I don't remember off hand what issue/date, but I could find out if you like.). While no doubt some have tried, it's statistically impossible to smoke that much that quick.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but you seem to be lumping marijuana in with all of the other illicit drugs. Coke, Crack, and Heroin are all psychologically and physically addictive and can kill you the first time they are used. Marijuana has no addictive properties. Period. People that let marijuana run their lives are just idiots, not addicts.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, just so long as they have the facts right.

Some good sites showing the non-government-propagnada facts about Marijuana;
National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
Marijuana Policy Project
Stop The Dug War
Drug War Facts

P.S. Alcohol kills more people each year than Marijuana, Coke, Crack, PCP, Opium, and Heroin combined. As I said above, Marijuana has never killed anyone. I know for a fact Marijuana isn't as bad as Alcohol.

- Arlo Guthrie

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

High concentrations of THC can produce a more hallucinogenic response.

"Although marijuana grown in the United States was once considered inferior because of a low concentration of THC, advancements in plant selection and cultivation have resulted in higher THC-containing domestic marijuana. In 1974, the average THC content of illicit marijuana was less than one percent. Today most commercial grade marijuana from Mexico/Columbia and domestic outdoor cultivated marijuana has an average THC content of about 4 to 6 percent. Between 1998 and 2002, NIDA-sponsored Marijuana Potency Monitoring System (MPMP) analyzed 4,603 domestic samples. Of those samples, 379 tested over 15 percent THC, 69 samples tested between 20 and 25 percent THC and four samples tested over 25 percent THC."
Source: US Drug Enforcement Administration, "Drugs of Abuse" (Washington, DC: US Dept. of Justice, 2005), from the web at http://www.dea.gov/pubs/abuse/7-pot.htm last accessed Jan. 27, 2005.

What_The_WhoMarijuana has no addictive properties. Period.

Many important functions of the brain, which dictate our behavior, involve dopamine. It is known that highly addictive drugs such as cocaine and heroin interfere with this dopamine and alter the individual. Hence, the abuse potentials of drugs are measured on the extent to which they interfere with dopamine regulation (i.e. production, release, or re-uptake). Dopamine is believed to be a neurotransmitter associated with the brain reward system, which is responsible for pleasure sensations. An integral part of this system is the mesolimbic pathway in which the nucleus accumbens of the limbic system produce dopamine.

The proponents of marijuana believed that cannabinoids did not act on the mesolimbic pathway. They believed that cannabinoids did not act on the dopaminergic synapses. Today we know that this is not the case. Experiments have shown that delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC), the major active chemical in cannabis (cannabidiol and cannabinol are also prominent ingredients of cannabis plant), does increase the extracellular concentrations of dopamine in the "shell" [the nucleus accumbens consists of a "shell" and a "core" which is distinct from one another anatomically and histochemically (Pontier et al. 1995)] of nucleus accumbens (Tanda et al. 1997; Diana et al. 1998). Tanda et al. found that delta-9-THC utilized the same pathway as that utilized by opioids, such as heroin which utilizes the opioid receptors. It was found that heroin and delta-9-THC utilized the same opioid receptor, mu-1, which eventually causes the increase in concentration of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens. Diana et al. also found similar results concerning the dopamine concentration increase in response to delta-9-THC. The administration of this chemical along with a synthetic cannabinoid agonist (WIN 55212,2) produced a dose-related increase in the firing rate in dopaminergic neurons. From such experiments, the claim that marijuana has no effect on dopamine concentration can be refuted.
http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/pap...ripts/_168.html

Marijuana and Academic Success

The high school dropout rate in the United States is over 25 percent, and 50 percent in major cities. A recent study of 11th graders showed that over half of the drug users dropped out--twice the rate of those drug-free.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r104:E19DE5-135:

~ You see the depth of addiction is the scope of how infringes upon a persons life, and that they still cannot
diminish the association.

Marijuana use is much more dangerous that believed and hundreds of young people die each year in "accidents" caused by their prolonged use of the drug, according to Britain's most senior coroner.
Hamish Turner, the president of the Coroners' Society, told The Telegraph that the marijuana, often portrayed as harmless, has increasingly been the cause of deaths that have been reported as accidents or suicides.
http://alcoholism.about.com/b/a/039646.htm

Edited by Scarlett, 07 November 2005 - 02:09 PM.

Posted Image

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

This is easy - really.

If you do drugs or alcohol, or anything that impairs you
and I see you placing someone else in danger by driving, being abusive, etc...
a law enforcement agency will be paying you a visit - no questions - no excuses.

I am a firefighter/medic as well (I stand beside Acklan), and have seen the results.

Now, after saying that...

What you do in your home is your business (with a few exceptions); what you do in public is our business.

Be safe,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 05 November 2005 - 10:45 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

Ok, just because Marijuana is legalized does not mean people are going to be stoned 24/7. There are some people that will be, but there are also people that try to be drunk 24/7.

As a matter of fact the average DWI is an average drink, not a alcoholic.

I understand where you are coming from Acklan. And I agree that there does need to be a test to determine whether or not the person is under the influence of Marijuana at that precise moment. A Marijuana-breathalyzer, as it were.

It would have to be a blood test since it does not manifest if the vapors exhaled. The pinheads at the ACLU would pre-empt that.

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money it was the other drugs that impaired that person's judgement the most. Did you know that there has never been a death attributed soley to the use marijuana? Not once in recorded history.

You cannot backup that statement. I will do my best to run it down, but when I was a deputy I work a DUI case where a driver using marijuana (solely, according to blood toxi screen) crossed the center line after falling aslept behind the wheel and murdered 2 occupants of a vehicle he hit head on. He cross the center line and orphened two kids. Neither patrents were intoxicated. BAC 0.0%

In acuality, to overdose fom Marijuana, a person would have to smoke the equivilant of 900 joints in just about 15 minutes (Quoted from Time Magazine. I don't remember off hand what issue/date, but I could find out if you like.). While no doubt some have tried, it's statistically impossible to smoke that much that quick.

I don't care. I would rather they OD. Atleast they would not murder any bystanders.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but you seem to be lumping marijuana in with all of the other illicit drugs. Coke, Crack, and Heroin are all psychologically and physically addictive and can kill you the first time they are used. Marijuana has no addictive properties. Period. People that let marijuana run their lives are just idiots, not addicts.

If you though I was fuzzy on my stance let me clear it up. Those who sell ANY illegal drugs or legal drug illegally should hammered. Kill the murders, and burn they bodies for electricty, or feed for pigs. That includes the murdering doctors that push legal drugs illegally. Period

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, just so long as they have the facts right.

Some good sites showing the non-government-propagnada facts about Marijuana;
National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
Marijuana Policy Project
Stop The Dug War
Drug War Facts

Not government propaganda, but propaganda none the less. These sites mean nothing to me. I won't even visit what I know is are ridiculous sites. The are self servering and clearly have a bias agenda that can't be taken on face value.

P.S. Alcohol kills more people each year than Marijuana, Coke, Crack, PCP, Opium, and Heroin combined. As I said above, Marijuana has never killed anyone. I know for a fact Marijuana isn't as bad as Alcohol.

Show creditable facts from sites that have no agenda. NSTB, FDA, NHSA, USDOT, FBI, ATF are the sites I would like to see you quote. Non gov. sites. AHA, Red Cross, JEMS, FireHouse.com, AMA jurnol, AAOS, any agency that has not taken a stand one way or another.
I never said it was worst, it's as bad.
Again not to be unclear. I have a big problem with alcohol. Especially serving it in bars and restraunts and expecting people to not drink and drive. That is a different POST which I will respond to if you choose to ask.
Why is it to have your right to buzz around in an alter state, I have to give up my rights to safety in public or private places. Don't reply," Well I only use it in the privacy of my home.". That is a load of poop. It will be sold in bars, gas stations. Then you will have one with the boys while watching the game at Joe's bar and feed store, and driving home putting everyone I love including myself in danger. Then it's as available as alcohcol an we have twice as many murders running the roads.
IMHO

#10 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:44 PM

There will no doubt be a test in federal court, along with a denial of federal funds. Then we will see what we will see.As usual. the American Criminal Lovers Union will defend the indefensible.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#11 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:53 AM

Uh, i support the legalization as long as it's controlled (like alcohol) as much as possible.... i.e. age restrictions and activity limitations.

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

LOL yes sure legalize it. Hahaha Just one more thing for the government to regulate and control and tax those that partake of it.. then who supports terrorism. lol :thumbsup:

I don't think it should be legalized.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

I think they should have tougher laws for drugs not legalize them.
Drugs arent good for your bodies and people like cigarettes it causes addiction and it can hurt you or others.

It makes me sick to hear of drunk drivers killing innocent people because they thought they could drive home.

They may not know what there doing while drunk or high but they did before they got that way. Its so sad really.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:19 AM

It makes me sick to hear of drunk drivers killing innocent people because they thought they could drive home.

It's called murder when you knowingly participate in activities that result it someone loosing their life. You choose to consume alcohol.

Edit: replace You with One.

Edited by acklan, 07 November 2005 - 04:27 PM.

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

What_The_Who ~ So what does everyone else think? Are you for or against marijuana and why?

With all due respect, I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why you are for the legalization of marijuana. Besides getting a buzz, without any legal ramifications. Now I am being serious here. Please do not misunderstand. What would this country gain as a whole?

What_The_Who ~ Did you know that there has never been a death attributed soley to the use marijuana? Not once in recorded history.

acklan ~ You cannot backup that statement. I will do my best to run it down, but when I was a deputy I work a DUI case where a driver using marijuana (solely, according to blood toxi screen) crossed the center line after falling aslept behind the wheel and murdered 2 occupants of a vehicle he hit head on. He cross the center line and orphened two kids. Neither patrents were intoxicated. BAC 0.0%

Well there you go. :thumbsup:

Pandy ~ LOL yes sure legalize it. Hahaha Just one more thing for the government to regulate and control and tax those that partake of it.. then who supports terrorism. lol

An excellent point Pandy!!!!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users