Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1611 fan failure code after replacing fan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

I am trying to recover a Proliant 800 server that suffered a CPU cooling fan failure. I have a similar server that is out of service. I turned it on to make sure it would still boot up and, after overcoming its dead CMOS battery, it booted fine and the fan was good. I removed the fan and put it in the first machine, but still get fan error and at a certain point in the SCO OpenServer bootup, it fails and shuts down. I took the drive cage out and put it in the machine that booted OK and it booted right up; no fan error or other errors. I ran diags on the machine that failed and everything passed. I am guessing that the error code on the failed machine is being stored somewhere and I need to reset that. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

I suppose you have Googled this and looked at the suggestions?

Edited by dc3, 26 August 2010 - 12:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

I have. Some of the referenced documents at HP (COMPAQ) are no longer available, so I was hoping someone who has been around as long as I have may have run into this and found a solution.

Thank you for responding.
adaniel

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

There are only a couple of things that occur to me. One is to check the voltage for the fan. The other is to check the thermal sensors to be sure that they are working properly. I'll have to do some research to find out if they are using thermistors or diodes. Once I find out which they are I can tell you how to trouble shoot it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

I found some information that is interesting.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=338717&page=1

#6 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:27 AM

dc3, thanks for all your help. I had seen the article you refenced and verified the replacement fan was identical to the failed one. As it turns out, I had two fan failures; the CPU fan and the I/O fan. Both throw a 1611 error, but it actually said CPU and I/O before - two error messages. After I replaced the CPU fan I had just I/O fan failure. I have been at this too long today and just missed the obvious. I have now replaced both fans and it booted - finally! Hopefully, I'll get the battery tomorrow and can put this baby to bed.

My searching did - finally - result in the correct manual with all the info I needed. It was in looking over it I realized there was a second fan hidden from view behind the I/O bays, accessible only by removing the top cover.

Here is the link to the docs for you or anyone else who may need it:
http://www.compucanjes.com/manuales/c01132693.pdf

You guys are the greatest. I posted this on HP's IT Resource Center before I posted here and still have no replies.

Thanks again and goodnight (it's 3:23AM here)

adaniel

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

Glad I was able to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users