Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DV7 heat issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JJ133169

JJ133169

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

I use speed fan to monitor the temp of my dv7-3160US ( 500GB sata, 512mb ATI video dedicated, 4GB ram, dual 2.5ghz, win 7 pro) Right now I'm at a college, Air conditioned and sitting around 115-117F with firefox and word open. When playing video games I usually hit around 199-205F. Do I have a "heat" problem or is that normal for laptops of this size and this amount of power? This laptop is about 3 months old. And all vents are clean.

Has anyone found any temperature guides for this DV7 or Dv7 in general? I called HP and for some reason they don't know what the average and max temps of this laptop should be...

The really weird thing is, is that after the computer hits above 180F the fan starts pulsing every few seconds, and between about 130-180 the fan will run constantly, and under about 130 or so it usually doesn't run. Since it runs under "normal high temperatures" I don't think its a fan issue, it just seems when it hits 180F plus it starts pulsing... ??? ( as in turning on for a second every 4 seconds, and then does that for about 3-4 minuets until temperature reaches about 170F, then it goes back on fully until temp is low)

And from my knowledge, Hp wont take in a laptop for repair for heat related issues unless its shutting down, is that correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

My first thoughts are that your CPU heat sink may be clogged with dust.

There are cases where you will need to open the laptop to gain full access to the heat sink to perform a through cleaning of the heat sink fins.

I usually use a toothbrush to perform this task.

I also suggest removing the heat sink, cleaning off the old thermal grease, removing the old thermal pad (if one exists) and applying a new bead of thermal paste and re-attaching the heat sink.

This should make a difference and should help in lowering the temperatures you are getting.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Well im not sure of the normal operating temps for that laptop. i have one on display at best buy and its allways on and running for people to view, and it never feels hot to me but ive never ran monitoring software on it. Its definately within the 1 year warranty for defects, if you cant get the problem to stop by following what MrBruce1959 has suggested, perhaps RMA is in order. i would hope not, its bothersome enough paying for something that expensive an it not work like it should.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 JJ133169

JJ133169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

My pc is less then 6 months old.
I have cleaned the vents with compressed air, didnt help at all... and there wasnt much dust. My processor is a 2.5ghz AMD dual core pc.
my pc is only hot in one area, above the processor / heatsinks, so one side is hot, the other is not even warm...

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Seriously it does not take long for a laptop to suck in enough dust to cause heat problems, just remember, those laptop cases have less space and it does not take much dust to create problems.

I would suggest you try opening the laptop case to gain full access to the heat sink and observe the condition and orientation of the heat sink, it may have come loose, it may not be fully seated as it should be.

Here is the specs to your laptop. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...68-4121353.html

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 JJ133169

JJ133169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

Problem is, the case is stripped or something, cant get inside it to check out the problem...

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Problem is, the case is stripped or something, cant get inside it to check out the problem...

What do you mean by stripped?

Are you saying the screw heads are stripped?

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

You might be able to use this site to get a basic idea on how to remove the bottom cover of your laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/3-compaq-hp-laptops/

Bruce.

#9 JJ133169

JJ133169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

I know how to remove it, the screws are not stripped, its the inside part attached to the case, so pretty much the chassis, not the drive bays, but the chassis, SO i would need to send it in to get that fixed. I can get it off but I wouldn't be able to put it back on...

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

I know how to remove it, the screws are not stripped, its the inside part attached to the case, so pretty much the chassis, not the drive bays, but the chassis, SO i would need to send it in to get that fixed. I can get it off but I wouldn't be able to put it back on...

Okay I can understand your concern.

If you feel more comfotable having it fixed by a shop, I can understand you wanting to do that.

Please keep us updated.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users