Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting With Spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 staringatangels

staringatangels

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am not too tech-savvy, but I do have some more advanced knowledge perhaps than the average user. Anyway, my Windows system is extremely corrupted--I think the registry is damaged, as a dialog box comes up every time I start up asking about missing files and to load the 200 disc. When I tried to load the 2000 disc it does nothing to solve the problem.

So I'm thinking the best solution is to reformat, putting XP on my computer (most people have told me it is superior to 2000). I have never done a reformat though and I am trying to burn all of my files from my hard drive so I can just put them back on.

I just need a few bits of advice.
1) Is there any way to ensure I get all the files necessary to make all of my hardware and software work properly (eg, drivers, program files, etc.)?
2) Are programs (image viewing programs, winamp, messengers, etc.) transferable via data disc, or do I just need to re-download/install them?
3) Since some of my files may be infected with spyware, how do I watch out for any so that I don't take them and put them on my computer again after the install of XP? I don't think any of my common files (music, pics, etc) have this (though should I check for that?), so I"m not sure if I need to watch other files (drivers and such) out for this.
4) Any other advice regarding keeping files on my harddrive when installing a new OS?

Thanks to any who reply. Oh, one more thing: a recent problem has come up, oddly enough, after I have begun going through my files and deleting old ones and cleaning my system up. When I select text or a file, instead of being able to copy the text, it deselects it when I right click, or, if a file, it automatically opens it. (I have double click selected in my mouse settings.)

staringatangels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:51 AM

:thumbsup: to BC staringatangels.

I think I can answer most of your questions:

1) Is there any way to ensure I get all the files necessary to make all of my hardware and software work properly (eg, drivers, program files, etc.)?

XP Pro or Home comes with a zillion drivers built in, I would expect it to recognise any equipment made within the last 5 years. If you have something out of the ordinary which XP does not recognise then a visit to the manufacturer's website usually enables you to download a suitable driver there.
Program files - all your software will have to be re-installed so you wil need the original installation software. This would have to be checked on a case-by-case basis for XP compatibility. But if you were running it under Win2000 I don't expect any problems.

2) Are programs (image viewing programs, winamp, messengers, etc.) transferable via data disc, or do I just need to re-download/install them?

They must be re-installed.

3) Since some of my files may be infected with spyware, how do I watch out for any so that I don't take them and put them on my computer again after the install of XP?

Make anti-virus software the first thing to load after XP is running, closely followed by a selection of anti-spyware software and a good firewall (turn off the Windows firewall 'cause it's inadequate).
Then you can virus and spyware scan your files before you copy them onto your new system.

4) Any other advice regarding keeping files on my harddrive when installing a new OS?

Unless your drive is partitioned you won't be able to keep any data on there if you do a clean installaion of XP because you will format your hard drive first.

Come back with some more specific questions if you like as there are plenty of people here who can give you good advice.
:huh:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hi. Welcome to BC, Staringatangels.
Rimmer has covered everything, but I would like to add on a little if I may.

XP will probibly cover all your drivers, but I would not worry even if it does not. It will not keep you from installing XP and it's easy enough to go to the manufacture's site to get the lastest drivers.

Yes you will have to download your programs and plugins again. If you are on a dialup it will take a long time, but this will insure you have the latest software. In some cases you may have "SAVED" instead of "RUN' the programs before installing. If this is the case go to the folder you dowlaod the program to and burn the program or .zip file of the program to disk. If you don't mind and have the time I thing a fresh download on the programs is still your best bet.

Once you have XP installed the first thinks I would do is that Rimmer's advice. Install your security programs. This is what I recmmend...

These are antivirus'. Only have and use one antivirus program at a time.
AVG 7 Antivirus Free Edition (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition (Freeware)

These are antispyware. You can install and run all of them. Run one at a time of course.
Spybot S&D Enable the "Tea Timer" feature. This is real time scanning.
AdAware SE
MicroSoft Antispyware Beta Enable the "Active " scan feature. This is real time scanning.

Firewalls. Again only one, and disable XP's firewall prior to enabling the 3rd party firewall.
Sygate Home Edition Freeware.(I personally use)
Zone Alarm Free Edition

This is a good way to start a fresh install and help protect you right from the start.

If you are going to this trouble I would recommend a second hard drive for you personal data (Pictures, Home work, creative files, mp3,..). Install Xp and your programs on hard drive #1, C:\ , and like I stated earlier your personal file load to the second hard drive. This way if you have to reinstall XP you have your unquie files saved, or isolated.
If you have the room (20gb minimun on C:\) you could create a second partition and store your personal file on the second (D:\) partiton. When formating at the beginng of the XP install create the second partition then. 20gb for C:\, and 20gb or more for for D:\. If you don't have the space I not would recommend the second partition. XP needs about 3 to 5gb of free space to function properly. You should not put more than 16gb of data on the primary partition (C:\) of a 20gb partition.

I hope that covers it. If you have any questions please ask before you start the install process. Good luck

Edited by acklan, 03 November 2005 - 03:41 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:58 AM

One tip:

If you do not install a second hard drive, when doing the fresh install of XP, (I recommend XP Pro as you were using Win 2000 which is a Pro version) You will need a full installation disk, either OEM or Retail version and the COA which gives you the Windows XP Key as you will have to certify Win XP before thirty days use), partition your drive into three parts. Install the Op system on the first (after formatting), install other programs on the second partition, and data on the third.

That way if you ever gave to reinstall again you will not have the problem of losing programs and data.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 November 2005 - 12:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users