Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APQ***.tmp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 riotsauce

riotsauce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

I saw a few threads with the MODS addressing this so I guess I'll take a stab at it. Basically, I'm getting a bunch of Norton Autodetect APQ***.tmp-- I've run full scans, CC reg cleaner, etc, and I'm still getting stuff.

Thanks in advance-- You guys seem like Über professionals.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 August 2010 - 09:57 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted and prep. guide not followed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

APQ***.tmp files are located in Symantec's AFPTemp folder usually under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus. This folder is a temporary holding area where Symantec antivirus deals with infected files which are renamed APQ***.tmp during the quarantine process.

Symantec AntiVirus copies infected files to the APTemp folder before they are quarantined or backed up prior to quarantine. The location of the folder varies, depending on the operating system.

About the APTemp folder

When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (chest) or a dedicated quarantine folder, that file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system. The quarantined file is usually renamed before moving, safely held there and no longer a threat until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of a crucial file that may have been flagged as a "false positive". If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure. When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can delete it at any time. With Symantec, you can empty the contents of the APTemp folder.

If the APQ***.tmp files are left in the APTemp quarintine folder, other security tools performing scans may flag them as a malware threat. Symantec anti-virus itself will rescan the files when its definitions are updated. According to Symantec, Auto-Protect may provide numerous alerts and the file may be quarantined repeatedly due to the Backup Agent accessing the infected file while they are being processed in the APTemp folder.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users