Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Proliant CMOS Battery replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

I have two COMPAQ Proliant 800 servers with dead CMOS batteries. One is an in-service server, the other a spare. I have purchased two Rayovac 840 external batteries per Google search results. Nowhere, however, can I find detailed instructions for replacing the battery. There is an external connector beside the on-board battery. There is a jumper on pins 1-2. I assume it needs to be moved/removed to recognize the external battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

I found some information a this site. Scroll down to the third post. There is an attachment with a photo and limited instructions for the jumper. The attachment is in the upper right corner.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Thank you, dc3, for your quick response. I had seen that post, but missed the attachment link; thanks for the clue. I was hoping for something more specific than "other pins" for moving the jumper. It may become obvious once I see the connector for the new battery.

If you are familiar with these old COMPAQ's, I have another problem related to the same machine regarding replacing a bad cooling fan. I was just getting ready to post that when I saw your reply to this one. Have a look and see if you have any insights.

Thanks again,
adaniel

#4 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

dc3, the manual you referenced also has specific instructions on replacing the battery. So, once it arrives, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help.

adaniel

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Always glad to help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Just in case anyone else references this in the future, avoid batteries from batterybob.com. I ordered two. They came USPS Priority in a flat enevelop with no packaging; keep in mind these batteries are approximately 1 inch cubes, they are not flat. Fortunately they were not flattened in shipping. The batteries also did not contain the velcro needed for mounting the battery to the computer. DO NOT buy Scotch Multi-Purpose Fasteners fo mounting. Buy a Velcro brand fastener; the adhesive on the Scotch brand stuck to the backing paper instead of the fastener. The connector also did not have a key in the appropriate hole to assure proper connection. The pin should be in the hole next to the red lead. Hope all this information helps someone else avoid the headache and hair loss I experienced. What should have been a five minute job took much longer considering shopping for mounting hardware and searching on-line for a picture of the connector to make certain I didn't blow the motherboard by hooking it backwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users