Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Icons On Desktop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

All the icons on my Desktop have been replaced (each one) with a small "white square. "
When Clicking on any one of it a window is popping out with the following:

Windows cannot open this file:
File:......
To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

I restarted the PC twice and got the same issue.
The System Tray is "empty" except the Ewido guard and the clock.
Clicking on the Ewido guard I can open the Ewido Window and manually scan or update it.

I clicked on "Start" and got also a small white square for all the existing programs except for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
I performed PC scanning using Ewido (as above) and two on-line scanning programs (BitDefender and Trend) with no finding.
Thru the "Start" I can open "My Documents" and "My Computer"... but nothing thru the Desktop
When clicking on "Start" -> on "All Programs" I got the list of all the programs but the icons are as above, and I cannot open any program using them

Since I cannot open anyone of my existing Security progams (Nod32, SpySweeper, AdAware, Sygate...) except Ewido - As mentioned above the Sytem Tray is empty - is my PC vulnerable when opening the I.E.

I am running Windows XP Pro

your prompt assistance very appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

If you know how to do a Restore then restore the system to a date when you did not have the problem.

#3 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

I hope this forum helps, I found it today and there is a walkthrough for a SYS REPAIR that could save your computer from an allout format

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=34234&hl=

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

As I recall, TweakUI had a "Repair Icons" option in it - it's free from Microsoft.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hello Rogue4Twenty and Usasma

I tried all with no succes

as mentioned in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=34234&hl
I inserted the installation disk and restarted my PC. The PC went on but nothing happened.
I clicked on "Start" -> "My Computer" -> then on WXPROVLKEN (CD Drive 'E' - where the disc were inserted). A window popped up with the following:
Files Currently on the CD
WXPROVLKEN (with the icon of a folder)

I click on it . the disk ran (heard the noise) but open above file to its different components i.e.
"cmpnents" "docs" "I386" "mui"

i.e. cannot ran the disk to begin the installation/Repair process???

Any suggestion

Thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

RESTORE DESKTOP ICONS & TASKBAR
Scroll down to #195 and click "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar" in the right column.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

RESTORE TASKBAR & START MENU
Scroll down to #117 and click "Restore Taskbar & Start Menu in the left column.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

All you need to do is boot off of your CD on startup man...

Make the change in your BIOS.. when your computer starts and checks the ram... hit... F2 (I could be wrong.. keep your eyes open on what key it tells you to hit).

Choose the boot sequece to be CD ROM first --> save changes --> restart computer.

when it loads this time, it will tell you to hit any key to boot from CD. Then follow the steps that are in the previously refered to post.

:thumbsup:

#8 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

Hello Rogue4Twenty

Thanks for your kind assistance.

1. I open the file as per Quietman advise and clicked on #195 - No reaction.

2. I have no idea how to set the Bios in order to boot the disk first.
I hitted all the keys with no success.
Is there any guidance/Tutorial site how to do that?

I used the "System Restore " in Safe Mode to a previous date (October 31). The issue remain unsolved.
After many attemps, I open the disk using the "Start" -> "My Computer" and "Drive E" (where the disk is installed). I got the following window:

Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP
What do you want to do?
[->] Install Windows XP
[->] Learn more about the Setup Process
[->] Install Optional Windows Components
[->] Perform Additional Tasks
[->] Check System Compatibility

I clicked on "Install Windows XP" - No reaction
I clicked on all the other commands and open the appropriate windows.

What do you think is the next step?

Thanks

#9 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:20 PM

If you have your instruction manual for the computer there should be instructions for entering bios setup. For Dell it is f2, other computers use escape key or delete key, but the manual should give you directions for what key to select on your computer. If not go to manufacturers web site for this information.

When you can boot from windows cd, skip the first screen that offers to load repair console. The next screen will offer the choice of reinstalling windows or repairing. Choose repair option here, this will leave programs and files in place, but repair anything that may have been hosed in windows.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

What brand computer do you have.

You can try these.
Dell..................................F2
Compaq ..........................F10
Some motherboards use Ctrl+Alt+ENTER

Edited by acklan, 04 November 2005 - 05:38 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

First Thanks to all of you for your kind assistance and your time.

After trying all the keys I succeeded with the "Delete" one. And after some tial and errors, I learnt how to change the sequence of the Boot device.
The computer then boot from the CD, opening the first screen that offers to load repair console. As advised, I skiped the first screen and clicked on the second Repair command.
The repair process ran smooth, asked for the CD key while "installing Windows" and after a while a window popped up with the following:

Windows cannot open this file:
File: rundll32.exe
To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

After cliking on OK and Cancel several times to allow the process to continue, additional windows (same ones) popped up for the followong files: "regsvr32.exe", "fixmapi.exe", unregmp2.exe", "Cmd.exe" , "migrate.exe", "logagent.exe", "uploaddm.exe", "mstinit.exe".
Each time I was cliking OK, I got the Internet page with "This Page Cannot Be Displayed".
As I mentioned above after many attemps of OK and Cancel, the process ended,
the PC rebooted but the issue has not been solved.
Note: When The PC rebooted I 've got a window (as above) for the file: Setup50.exe. I cliked on Cancel to get the Desktop opening.
I repeated this task twice, but got the same results.

Why these windows popped up during the repair process?
Is this means that I cannot repair my existing OS and I have to reinstall it completely?
If positif, what about all the existing files. Do I have to copy all of them (except the OS) from my drives (C & D) using a USB (Disk on Key - since I cannot open the Nero program to burn a disk) and temporarily install them on another PC. Or, the reinstallation of the OS will not affect the existing files

Again many thanks for your guidance and your time

Edited by sam-my, 05 November 2005 - 11:32 AM.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Bump :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users