Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reply to infected email stuck in Outbox preventing sending mail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueDogs

BlueDogs

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

First off, not my computer. LOL A friend of mine opens up an e-mail from a friend with an attachment and WHOOPS! Should have renewed that Norton subscription, but alas..... Since then another friend (who thinks she knows bunches about computers) has been fiddling around in there and created a mess. I now have the computer in my possession for the night and tomorrow to try and fix this. Did a search on the e-mail name and nothing came up in Google. Ran Malwarebytes at her home yesterday and it found several trojans, a rootkit and two infected registry keys. It does not appear the virus or worm reinstalled itself upon reboot.

I can post the log upon request if needed. Seems like the infection is gone but since she went to reply to this infected e-mail Windows Mail (Vista Home Premium) had a hissy fit of some sort and it is now stuck like chuck in the outbox. Her friend went about messing with her e-mail settings and put them all backwards. I fixed them and 168 e-mail messages downloaded but still cannot get a test e-mail to send out. If you try to delete this e-mail (which says, "Re:E-mailing: K18qp416svx" in the subject line) it says an unknown error occured. Attempting to move it to another folder (like the deleted items folder) and you get the same message. It won't show the properties either.

Clicking on the e-mail gives you the standard "Windows mail encountered an error when attempting to display this message....." in the message view pane. Attempting to search for all e-mails in safe mode in Windows explorer using a wildcard *.eml brings up everyone except that e-mail. It's like it's there but not. Even using advanced options to try and force Windows to show hidden or system files during the search is futile. I was hoping to delete it from there.

She does not want to format her drive and do a total system recovery. Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to look into the Malwarebytes log and try and do a search on the issues it found to see if I can't find removal tools or instructions here to see if that won't help. She also said she tried a system restore and that did no good either. She now has Avast! Free AV in her computer and I have advised her to spend the money and just purchase a McAfee or Norton Internet Security Suite and forget the free stuff after I clean this off of there.

She has a tendency to click on stupid stuff. Sigh....

Darlene

Blue Sapphire Kennels
Brains, Beauty, & Brawn, Why Settle for Less?
Learn about Blue and Liver GSD's! At: BlueDogs
"No Good Dog Is a Bad Color" - Max von Stephanitz - German Shepherd Breed Founder

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlueDogs

BlueDogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Moderators, please close this thread. I figured it out myself thank goodness and was finally able to remove the reply e-mail from the outbox and restore normal function to Windows Mail.

~Darlene~

Blue Sapphire Kennels
Brains, Beauty, & Brawn, Why Settle for Less?
Learn about Blue and Liver GSD's! At: BlueDogs
"No Good Dog Is a Bad Color" - Max von Stephanitz - German Shepherd Breed Founder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users