Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cronomi

cronomi

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hi!

I dont know whats happening with google, because any search i made will get strange results. The pages are very strange, with strange adresses, or are just simple pages from websites like hi5 for example.

An example, if i search for [exactly, without quotes of course] "oil wiki", the first page will be [DONT CLICK ON LINK since i cant tell if its safe!]:

08puma13.blog.com/.../replica-montre-monoi-oil-wikipedia-the-free-enc/

Such search should lead me directly to wikipedia talking about oil, but no, it will lead me to the link above and other similars. Any search i made will get similar results and the number of results is very low (like 2000, instead of 100000 for example).

If i click on advanced search options or google settings, or gmail, etc, nothing will happen.

Even more strange, my wife is using the same net (of course lol, we live in the same home), but on her computer & google search, things are normal.
Also, in my computer, if i use altavista for search, things will get to work normally (for example, if i search for oil wiki, it will lead me to wikipedia and "normal" pages).

I would aprecciate any help with such problem.

I am sorry for my really bad english. :-)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 August 2010 - 08:32 PM.
Move to AII from web-browsing ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hello and welcome. Is this XP?

Let's start here.
Please read and follow all these instructions.
  • Please download GooredFix and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click GooredFix.exe to run it.
  • A log will open, please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called Goored.txt).

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.
Before you save it rename it to say zztoy.exe

alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cronomi

cronomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I used hijackthis and worked very well. I dont have the problem anymore. But, since such software demands some knowledge about what you are doing, i think i may have removed things i shouldnt. For example, now my Windows Media Player is not working properly, and some few other things.

Well, i think i should not be worried with that, since my computer was in the need of new Windows install and will do that as soon as possible.

Thanks

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yes that is why I did not ask you to run it and we would not have here. See this forum's intro.

IMPORTANT NOTE: HijackThis is an advanced enumerator (similar in some respects to a registry editor) that is used to display certain areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. HijackThis will scan these areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. However, since HijackThis only scans certain areas of your system/registry, a log may not always show all the malware on your system and other investigative tools need to be used. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage such as loss of Internet connectivity or problems with your operating system which could preventing it from starting. Using HijackThis requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System and relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries and investigate them in order to determine what needs to be fixed.

And just because you "fixed" something with HijackThis, that does not mean you have a clean system. There are specific files and folders which must be deleted afterwards. HijackThis does not delete them. Futher, removing entries in HijackThis before the problem is properly identified can make the malware undetectable to other detection and removal tools. Full system scanning tools like SUPERAntispywre, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D and SpySweeper will remove the registry entries as well as the related files which results in a more complete removal process. HijackThis this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the malware.

Since HijackThis is a powerful tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Operating System and can cause system damage if incorrect instructions are given, only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

Now you will need to post that HJT log here and have another go thru it. Hopefully you have a befoer and after log.
Post them here with a description of what is happening,
here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users