Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system voltage low warning upon startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

please help me. I have a dell computer its not that old and is a pretty good computer and has quite a bit of memory on it. it goes pretty fast usually and i have not had too many problems with it since i bought it from my friend in february. but recently when i start up the computer a warning message on a black screen comes up and says "Warning System Voltage Low to continue with normal boot up strike f1 to go to (cant remember some diagnostics or utility of some sort) strike f2" and after i strike f1 it boots normally and seems to run fine. it doesnt do it everytime but has started to do it more often now. I am scared that eventually i am not going to be able to boot up at all and all of my home movies and pictures are on this computer and dont know what to do to remedy the problem. I have tried to take the power cord and plug directly into wall outlet and didnt work then i cleaned dust from inside of computer and didnt help either. if anyone knows of anything i can do please let me know. thank you very much! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Usually this pertains to the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Replace it and you should be fine.

A little more information. This battery keeps the BIOS settings and runs your clock as well. Unless you have made changes to the BIOS there shouldn't be any problem with replacing the battery as they will automatically go back to the default settings. You will need to reset the Date and Time in the Control Panel. To do this go to Start> Control Panel> Date and Time. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

Edited by dc3, 25 August 2010 - 06:28 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

WOW thansk for such a Super Quick response!! you are awesome. so what happens if it goes dead completely?? and when i change it does the comp need to be off and will i lose any saved info like have to reinstall software or lose pics?? or is it just that i will have to set time ?? thank you again for such an awesomely fast answer! :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

If you haven't made any changes in the BIOS, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Do turn the computer off when you change the battery. You should also touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity, this can damage or kill some components inside the case.

I did a quick Google and found a tutorial which should help you with changing the battery.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Any information that is stored on your hdd or your documents will not be affected. Like I posted earlier, you should only need to change the Date and Time.

Edited by dc3, 25 August 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

ok well I have no idea if the bios has been changed or not>??? i really dont know much that is why i am a frequent user of this site :thumbsup: so what if the bios has been changed what is the bios??is there a way to find out if it has been changed? what will happen if i follow the steps and its been changed ?? is there a way to do it where it is safe to do either way? i am really gettin stressed out now cause i dont wanna mess it up./... if i do this will everything get erased? man i hate this thanks for the help so far,,,, i hope we can figure this out.. the reason i wonder if the bios has been changed is cause 1 i bought this from a friend and have no idea what they did to it.. plus i have gotten help from here for this comp and dont know exactly what they had me do or change?? thanks again your awesome

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Your having to ask these questions about the BIOS pretty much tells me that you haven't made any changes there.

If for some reason there has been a change in the BIOS it will not affect your data or any of your programs.

From what you have written, I seriously don't believe the BIOS has been changed from the default settings.

I think you can relax on this one. Take five minutes and a couple of deep breaths, and relax, it's easy. <smile>

Just to put you at ease, if there have been any changes in the BIOS before you acquired it, they will be very simple for us to detect and we can walk you through a simple correction if necessary. OK?

Edited by dc3, 26 August 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#7 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

thank
u so much as soon as i get a chance i will replace this and let u know how it goes so please check back in a lil while ty :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

You are more than welcome. Please do let us know how this works out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users