Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REPOSTING THIS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

I stayed on my computer lastnight for a while and everything seemed to be working fine. I left it on overnight as i do sometimes, and when I woke up this morning it was on a different desktop. I went to shutdown and the only option it gave me was to log off or switch user. so i chose log off and when i did it took me to the normal log in screen. when i tried to log on a box popped up and said unable to load this profile insufficient resources will load a default profile and had a box to click ok. i did a manual shutdown and restarted and then it loaded but had taken away my background picture but now everything "seems" to be working and back to normal. I have been infected before and now to come here first to make sure that this suspicious behavior is not due to a virus or some other infection. I should note that I did a revo pro uninstall yesterday to clear up some space on my comp. I deleted temp files, removed the bits of stuff left over from my recycling bin, and cleared my browsers. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not? while it was cleaning the leftovers from the recycle bin it took like three hours to do and right at the end a box popped up and said low memory and when i checked my space it was almost depleted completely. but then a couple seconds after revo was done it went back to the normal memory amount....so i didnt think much of it htought it was just because revo was running. now i am not so sure? I am running a dell with xp and have a pentium 4 cpu 3.40 ghz 3.39 ghz 1.00 gb ram service pack 3 and i have a total memory of 465 gb and a total of 426 gb free. please instruct me as to what first steps to take in order to determine what is going on. and if it is a memory issue or a infection. i really do not have much installed on my computer so i dont know what could be the problem. thank you ahead of time for your help. you guys are great jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

<<...a box popped up and said unable to load this profile insufficient resources will load a default profile...>>

That's indicative of a damaged profile. Routine enough in Windows to be well-documented. Such can prevent a user from logging on, which is why a default profile was used and why your desktop may have been a bit different.

I would suggest creating a new profile for yourself...and then transferring data from your old profile to the new. Once that is done and you are satisfied that everything works as it should...delete the old profile.

See Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151.

Louis

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

thanks for the fast answer :thumbsup: well will this work if i am admin?? will i be able to make another admin account>??thank you :flowers:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Yes...just follow the instructions from Microsoft :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

thank you this hasnt happened in a while but lately i have been having some other issues could this be from this happening ?? since it only happened the one time should i still worry about creating a new profile??? tahnks :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

It's your system, it's your call.

When my system uses the default profile...I create a new one and transfer.

Louis

#7 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

<<...a box popped up and said unable to load this profile insufficient resources will load a default profile...>>

That's indicative of a damaged profile.

Actually it is more indicative of insufficient resources (horses not zebras). The OP mentioned getting the low-virtual-memory bubble. It sounds like something is eating up all the memory on the system.

Id recommend that the next time this occurs, to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), switch to the Processes tab and click-to-sort and examine each of the Mem Usage and VM Size columns to see what is eating so much memory.

Also, check the system drive (eg C:\) to see how much space is available. You can receive that error if C: runs out of space. Perhaps something has filled up the drive (if its full, do a file search, using the Size option).
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Nice catch, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Also check the virtual memory settings to make sure it is set to system managed size
Control Panel - System icon - Advanced tab
Under performance click the settings button
Click the advanced tab
Under Virtual memory click change
Make sure the bullet is in system managed size and click the set button
Click OK & restart when prompted

Microsoft could not have buried that any deeper if they tried!!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users