Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq+Ubuntu=Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Okay, so here's the deal... I was given a free laptop that had WinXP on it and I wiped it all off and put Unbuntu 10.04 on it. Now I'm having a problem getting the built in WIFI to work. There is a button on the laptop that controls the WIFI, and now it doesnt function, is there a way around that button so that I can either get it working again or enable it some other way?

Thanks in advance

Ubuntu 10.04
Compaq Presario M2000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

Wifi devices are one of the most troublesome devices to make work in Linux.

Likely the quickest and easiest way of fixing it is to use NDISWrapper to allow Ubuntu to use the Windows drivers: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...ver/Ndiswrapper

#3 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

I don't know if it is the right one, but I was able to hook my laptop up to the internet via a USB wifi card and I found some drivers (I don't know if they are the right ones) in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers for "Broadcom B43 wireless driver", and "Software modem". There are currently some Ubuntu updates running right now but as soon as they are done I'm going to try them.

Keep in mind that I'm not too familiar with Ubuntu and have only been using it for a short time on my desktop computer

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

Broadcom was one of the wifi devices that shipped with that particular laptop, so you may be all set.

#5 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yup, those drivers solved it =]

Thanks for the help =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users