Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Equivelent?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Is there a equivalent to combofix for windows 7? I have been searching for something that is on par with it for windows 7 for quite a while now, but have had no luck.

I am already using Comodo firewall, Avast antivirus and malwarebytes.

I had previously upgraded to windows 7 from XP (which i did find to be a big mistake but did not have much of a choice because of the poor driver support on the 64 bit version of windows xp)

I am just looking for betters security related / rootkit detection programs for windows 7.

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2010 - 10:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Antivirus, Firewall ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Combofix works on windows 7 32 bit. but:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Unlike what many people think, Combofix is not a fix-all program that's just "run and done". It is a highly specialized tool that should only be used under the supervision of an expert. It's not an "everyday use", clean-all program.

If you suspect malware, please post a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs sub-forum, with a description of the issues you are having and the contents of the log file (copy and paste the contents of the log into your topic, don't attach it). Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it. You will also likely be scolded for running Combofix without supervision.

If you don't suspect malware and just ran Combofix for no good reason, please uninstall it by typing the following into the "Run" box and pressing Enter: combofix /uninstall

Do not run combofix without supervision. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

you might ask the folks over at the Malware Response forum.

If I am correct, combofix is outdated, but there are some other choices, but some can be pretty destructive if not used correctly.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

In response to the post above post your question here: AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

I was not clear enough with my question, sorry. I would like to know if there is a combofix or equivalent for 64 bit OS's. Since the original only runs on 32 bits.

I am not looking for help cleaning a computer or so on. I was merely looking for a version of Combo fix that runs on 64 bit machines, or an alternative, since it is much easier for me to run it, rather then manually finding each and every infected file and registry entry and deleting them. (It gets to be VERY tedious when doing this with 5-6 machines a day.)

I have multiple programs that run on 32 bit machines. but now that 64 bit Os's are becoming more and more common, and many of the older programs that used to work on 32 bit, do not always work, or do not work properly on 64 bit machines, I am seeking alternatives.

Edited by King_Yoshi, 30 August 2010 - 12:59 AM.

#6 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

you might ask the folks over at the Malware Response forum.

If I am correct, combofix is outdated, but there are some other choices, but some can be pretty destructive if not used correctly.

I am definitely interested in some of these methods. Especially if they pertain to rootkit infections.

Most infections can be removed manually and do not need scanners. I have access to the many virus/malwae scanners that exist such as malwarebytes etc. I honestly am not interested in the everyday, "push this button and it fixes everything" program. (Many work, but MOST do not work nearly well enough.)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

Due to the architecture in 64-bit Windows and the fact that 64-bit drivers need to be digitally signed, rootkits are not seen as often on 64-bit machines so they are less prone to that type of infection. As such, the tool's creator has said it is very unlikely that there will be a 64-bit version of ComboFix since that OS is more secure than a 32-bit system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users