Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio device installed error and devices wont show in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tookiewayne

tookiewayne

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'm trying to fix an hp pavillion dv6704nr laptop running windows vista home premium. It has the little red x on the speaker in the lower right hand corner. The owner said it has been there for some months. I have tried downloading the current audio drivers for the computer but every time I try to install the driver, I get an error that says the device couldn't be found.

The first time i restarted the computer, after the driver installation failed, the audio came back and worked fine, until I had to restart the computer. Now I keep getting the same error and nothing i have found so far online has helped.

There are no yellow triangles in the device manager and the device list isn't showing the category for "sound, video and gaming etc." at all.

Please help. I did a search but the other threads didn't solve this problem for me.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

I see three different audio driver packages at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ct=3646926#N661.

You need to find the right one to install. If you install one and the system doesn't work properly...please uninstall it before trying the next one.

Installing the wrong one won't do anything harmful to your system...it just won't do any good to leave it installed.

Louis

#3 tookiewayne

tookiewayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

thanks a lot for that, but the device manager isn't showing any of the devices under sound, video and game controllers. I can't uninstall the drivers if i wanted to.

is there something i can do to get the "Sound, Video and Game controllers" category back in the device manager?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Nothing will appear under Sound, Video, Game Controllers...other than maybe a few legacy items...until you install the audio drivers. At that time, an audio controller should appear under SVG.

What is reflected in Device Manager now...has nothing to do with installing the drivers, typically. The drivers should install by just double-clicking the downloaded package, if it's an .exe file.

Before attempting install, you may want to do this, Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html .

Louis

I would try the Realtek package first.

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2010 - 05:23 PM.

#5 tookiewayne

tookiewayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

that helped a bit. i was able to pull up the devices but every time i try to install the drivers i get another error saying

"driver installation failed: could not find the device for this driver"

the audio comes back sometimes when the pc is restarted but it goes out again shortly after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users