Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a scanner via cd or dmg file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

My basic how-to books don't have much on installing scanners. My canon lide 100 scanner has a cd that when inserted into the drive on the macbook popped open a window w/ a setup.app file and a mseupt.plist file. Do I click on the setup.app to start the installation?

I rclicked > Open the cd to look for a user manual and clicked on the manual folder and got a window w/ a Manual_Eng.mpkg file, which is IDed as an installer package. Does that install the manual into the software once installed or as a standalone manual on my hdd? I'm used to finding a pdf file on the cd I can read from the cd or copy to my document folder.

Since the dates on the cd are 2008 I went to canon's website and found updated drivers - twain and ica drivers - for mac os x in dmg files. If I remember correctly per my reading I just doubleclick on them and they mount as virtual cds in a drive. Then what do I do?

I thought I would install from the cd and then update the drivers. I think I could just install the dmg packages, but I'm not sure from the descriptions of the download files.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

If this is a usb scanner then plug it in go to control panel and go to print and fax and click the plus button and see if it is listed. The reason I say this is snow leopard has a lot of drivers built in. If that does not yeild any results then please see below. :blink:

I was wondering when you would ask this question this is where mac and windows differs greatly. If in a DMG then yes you double click then it will mount,, most have a short cut to the applications folder which you will drag the app then it will be installed, some on the other hand will come with an installer such as wise(the oldest install i have ever used!) and other custom installers. On the other other hand some software with com with a .app which you double click and I believe it will open an installer (never used one so I don't a clue if that is true) the .plist is a script file I believe.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

From Canon's support page.

Procedures for the download and installation
1. Click the link. The download will start automatically.
2. Files will be saved on the computer desktop.
3. Double-click the file to mount the Disk Image.
4. Double-click the mounted Disk Image.
5. Double-click the .pkg file in the folder. Installation starts automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users