Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm pretty sure I am infected, but nothing showing up on scans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kinellv8

kinellv8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hi there,
I've been reading lots over the past two days but not found quite what I am looking for - or if I have, I don't realise it.
Here's what happened.

I downloaded utorrent, tried to download a few files through it and then got infected. it was the antimalware one, plus a couple of others, the sheild poppoed up on my tray too.
I found a post that seemed to describe my isses and how to fix. I basically followed the instructions without running any OTL codes.
here's a link to the post.
link to original post

I believe it had disabled my corporate edition of Symantec. I ran Trenmicro house call and it also didn't detect anything.
I ran combofix and it detected a bunch of things and sorted the antimalware in the icon tray, however, I was still getting constant pop ups from my anyvirus saying that an email could not be sent, so my machine is constantly trying to send out malicious emails/spam.

I then went into safe mode, ran combo fix again, then ran Eset online scan, again, it detected a few bits and pieces and removed them.
I've run the virus software a few times since yesterday and it shows clean, however I still continue to get the Symantec preventing the spam emails from being sent.

I guess now I am asking for help - oh, and by the way, 20 years in computers - my first virus!

thanks

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Nor, should you be following specific instructions provided to someone else especially if they were given in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. Those instructions were most likely given under the guidance of a trained staff helper to fix that particular member's problems, NOT YOURS after careful evaluation of the malware involved. Before taking any action, the helper must investigate the nature of the infection and then formulate a fix for the victim. Although your problem may be similar, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. and the presence of other malware.

With that said, ComboFix logs are not permitted outside the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum and then only when requested by a Malware Response Team member. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

:thumbsup: ComboFix logs, where should I post them?

... if you ran ComboFix on your own due to malware infection, please be aware that a ComboFix log is only one part of the disinfection process. Therefore we ask that you please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". When you have done that, post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in that forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users