Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advice on a new anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neviditelny

neviditelny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Currently I'm running both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and McAfee Internet Security on Windows 7 Pro. Due to recent issues on a computer that's now dead, I'm not exactly thrilled with McAfee anymore. I'm looking to change anti-virus programs, but there's more choices than I know what to do with.

I would like to keep Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Currently I can't run its real-time protection module because it keeps shutting of McAfee's real-time scanning and then my computer just has a hissy fit until I shut it off.

Is it better to go with individual components or with a security suite? I kind of like the all-inclusiveness of a suite, but if just using individual components is better, then I'm open to change. If I should switch to individual components, then what components (other than a firewall and anti-virus) do I need?

I've had Norton and Sophos before and hated them both. Just looking around online and on anti-virus comparative sites like av-comparatives.org and av-test.de it seems that ESET, F-Secure, Kaspersky, and Panda consistantly rank high. Are these actually good programs? Is there something better than them?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi neviditelny,

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer

I will try to answer each of your questions.

I would like to keep Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Currently I can't run its real-time protection module because it keeps shutting of McAfee's real-time scanning and then my computer just has a hissy fit until I shut it off.

Yes, Malwarebytes' is a great program, and I do recommend you keep it. You can go ahead and turn MBAM's real-time protection module back on, as it will not interfere with the new AntiVirus you get. McAfee is too bloated and there are a few issues with it when running with other programs like MBAM.

Is it better to go with individual components or with a security suite? I kind of like the all-inclusiveness of a suite, but if just using individual components is better, then I'm open to change. If I should switch to individual components, then what components (other than a firewall and anti-virus) do I need?

The first question I need to ask you, is do you want to go with a free antivirus program and free firewall or do you want to pay for your AV? I usually recommend a separate AV and firewall, but if you like, you can go with a security suite fi you find the right program you like.

I've had Norton and Sophos before and hated them both. Just looking around online and on anti-virus comparative sites like av-comparatives.org and av-test.de it seems that ESET, F-Secure, Kaspersky, and Panda consistantly rank high. Are these actually good programs? Is there something better than them?

For paid suites: Norton, Kaspersky, and ESET are very good.
For free antvirus: AntiVir, avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials are very good.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Most good antivirus products do not do well with multiple real time scanners. There are frequently conflicts, and the most dangerous ones are hidden.

Since antivirus suites are such a personal choice, it might be best to use a trial version of each one to see which one fits your requirements. There are issues with all of them. What pleases one user may make the next one unhappy with it. If you go this route, be sure to download the proper removal tool for each one, as they are all very sticky.

Comodo Internet Security Suite (free version) also seems quite good.

Sometimes it depends on the version as well. I was very pleased with Norton 2009, and I like 2010. Whether I will like 2011 remains to be seen.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Comodo Internet Security 2011 is soon to be released. When it is it will combine The Firewall, the Antivirus, the Defense+ HIPS, Sandboxing of any unknown executable, Cloud Whitelist and av and also cloud behaviour analysis.

Just a few bugs still being ironed out, but should be worth waiting for.
James

#5 neviditelny

neviditelny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

The first question I need to ask you, is do you want to go with a free antivirus program and free firewall or do you want to pay for your AV? I usually recommend a separate AV and firewall, but if you like, you can go with a security suite fi you find the right program you like.

I've got no problem paying for an AV. If I do decide to go with a separate AV and firewall, should I get the same brand of each?

Thank you all very much for all of your help!

Edited by neviditelny, 25 August 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi neviditelny,

You're welcome :thumbsup:

I've got no problem paying for an AV. If I do decide to go with a separate AV and firewall, should I get the same brand of each?

The reason I like recommending not buying a full suite is that they sometimes include features that are not needed and can use up space that we can spare. But with that said, you can still buy a full suite if you like.

If you are interested in buying protection, I would recommend looking at these first, then if you don't like any of them, I can give you some very good free alternatives. Don't worry about buying a firewall. Once you choose what AV or suite you want, I will give you some good free firewalls to choose from, unless you buy a full suite then you will not need one.

Stand alone AntiVirus:Full Security Suites:
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I also think that the 2010 editions of KAV and KIS are still seen.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users