Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vgursslin

Vgursslin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

What would cause the cooling fans to run continuiosly? My tech said its because I have an old computer. I think its due to something else. I cleaned alll the areas inside tower but it still has both fans running all the time. They never did this when I ran computer before. this just started about three months ago. I'd like to get help on this.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Vgursslin, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Heat is usually what causes the fans to run. You wrote that you had cleaned the inside of the case. Did you clean the fan and heat sink assembly on the CPU? There is a thermal sensing device there which if the temperature goes up will cause the RPMs of the fans that are connected to the motherboard to increase.

Are both of these fans connected to the motherboard?

Do both of them have three wires?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

I have a Dell 5150 circa 2003 that has the same problem. It is considered a "desk top replacement". It is using either a PIII or P4 chip. It seems when there is video or high volume applications running, the fans are in overload. They are moving continually. I too will vacuum it out but also of note, the fan is in the wrong location. It is on the bottom of the laptop so there isn't a clear path for air intake because the machine is sitting on the surface.

What I did to alleviate the problem was to build a stand out of PVC pipe & fittings. I made it so I could sit the laptop in the lap & have it raised 10-12 inches. It also puts the machine at an ergonomic angle so it is easier to type. I also, for more comfort added a 'marble mouse' so I can keep the mouse control where ever feels comfortable. if I'm sitting on the couch or bed, this stand works great & the mouse control can be at my side so i don't have to be continually fumbling with the touch pad.

Eventually my mother board fried but Dell installed a new one for $200 after i refused to pay $500. It was also noted they had motherboard issues from the years past but never suffered the problem due to my adaption. Good luck!

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Mixpix, you should post your own topic. This is called hijacking, which is frowned upon as it distracts from the original member's topic.

Edited by dc3, 25 August 2010 - 09:06 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Eventually my mother board fried but Dell installed a new one for $200 after i refused to pay $500.

:thumbsup:

I agree. I guess thatís one of the problems with getting brand-name, proprietary electronics.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

What would cause the cooling fans to run continuiosly? My tech said its because I have an old computer. I think its due to something else. I cleaned alll the areas inside tower but it still has both fans running all the time. They never did this when I ran computer before. this just started about three months ago. I'd like to get help on this.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A fan will always run continuously. I assume that you mean it runs at a higher RPM all the time now?

I agree with what has been stated above. The first step should be cleaning out the inside with a can of air. Blow out the heatsink fins as they might be clogged with dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users