Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 error & restart automatically when internet connection present

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wjones117

wjones117

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hi, I've been trying to solve this problem for the better part of two days, so I figured it was time to seek a little bit more hands on help than Google searches can provide. The issue at hand is that when I start Windows 7 in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, I get an error message within 10 to 30 seconds telling me that "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart in one minute. Please save your work now." And then it does just that, restart. I'm posting this in this particular forum and not the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum is because I'm not entirely sure it is still a virus/malware/trojan issue anymore. It certainly started off as one though. Let me detail exactly what happened.

Browsing the internet and MSE pops up and says there are 2 possible threats, asking me to clean now to take care of them. I do so, but the computer slows to a halt. I then get the above mentioned error message for the first time, at which point, I bring the computer up into Safe Mode with Networking (thinking it's some malware that's causing the problem) but I get the error again upon start-up in Safe Mode with Networking. I boot into Safe Mode with Networking again and attempt to use RKill to stop the services causing the problem so I can run a MalwareBytes Anti-Malware scan. No such luck. I am however, able to update MalwareBytes in that one minute on the next restart and then boot into normal Safe Mode. I proceed to run a full scan with Malware Bytes and remove all of the infections it finds. There were several, Antimalware Doctor being one of them, I think. I reboot into normal start up, but I get the same error. This was yesterday afternoon, so I start Googling to see if there are any suggestions. Most of them are from Windows Vista, and don't apply to my situation at all. One thing I attempt to do is create a Kapersky Rescue Disc to try to fix the problem. I let that scan run last night and this morning attempted to remove the various viruses/trojans it found. But my experience with that program is poor, and I'm not totally certain it did its job. After this, I boot back into Safe Mode and run another scan with Microsoft Security Essentials just to be thorough. It finds things and restarts to fix them. But the problem persists. I tried disabling as many services/start up items as I could, but that didn't work either.

The interesting thing I did find was that when I unplugged the ethernet cable or disabled my network adapter, the problem went away. I can run Windows just fine without an internet connection, but that doesn't really do me much good, I guess. I'm currently using an install of Windows XP on a different HDD on the same computer. So what I can't figure out is, are the viruses still causing the problem? Or has some system file changed and that needs to be corrected to fix the problem. I can provide logs or more information if needed. I'm not very hopeful seeing as how here are virtually zero solutions to this problem out there, but hopefully with someone's help here I can get it taken care of. You're my only hope, Bleeping Computer lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wjones117

wjones117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

I don't want to come off as impatient (I'm not, I promise. There's no time issue here, I'm fine using XP for the time being), but just curious if maybe I should try to post this in a different forum? Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated, especially since I'm all out of ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users