Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet log

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Sometimes, my Novatel U760 aircard will shut itself off while plugged into its USB port, thus knocking me offline. The popup dialog box has a check box ticked to enable logging of these events.

My question is simply where can I find that log so I can see what's causing me to be knocked offline.

Thanks.

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have the u720 and it has been driving me crazy. Mine is plugged into a Kyocera KR1 router and the router keeps a log. When it cuts off the error in the log is "connection terminated by peer". I assume this means Verizon is throttling the connection. I don't think it has anything to do with you or your card because I have used many cards and configuration and this happens at least once a day. What is your transfer rate, per month? They told me mine was 14gb per month (and that was a light month) and the guy at the store indicated that was a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if throttling is the culprit.

The only other wildcard I can think of is if you are on a fringe coverage area like me the signal dips out sometimes. I don't know about the card you have but the U720 has a dual band antenna that is worthless indoors. I get full bars on clear, sunny days, but if it's overcast or stormy I get three to zero bars.

Hope this helps, good luck!

#3 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

I'm in a good area as far as coverage goes. I monitor my bandwidth (10 gb cap) and have never gone above 8 gb in a month. I'm not using an antenna, just the extension cable that came with the aircard.

Is your issue the same as mine where the aircard isn't just losing its Internet connection, but actually shutting itself off while plugged into the USB port (the hardware disconnected sound plays)?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Well the light goes from flashing to constant when it is disconnected but when I had a card plugged directly in the pc, yes, that exact thing happened.

#5 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

That sucks. It's frustrating because the problem could be a defect in the card, the USB port, the BIOS, the motherboard, in your case, the router. It doesn't seem like there's a way to narrow it down to one root cause.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Well you can plug some thing else in the usb port and if that device works then we can eliminate the usb port that way. Also I have had issues with those card as well doing that, but I have never had it disconnect on me while it is plugged in I have had it drop signal and have stop dead for an hour for some reason.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

my log if it helps, maybe cross post in linux forum?

Aug 28 16:35:37 (none) syslog.info -- MARK --
Aug 28 16:55:37 (none) syslog.info -- MARK --
Aug 28 17:12:53 (none) daemon.info pppd[24609]: LCP terminated by peer
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) daemon.notice pppd[24609]: Connection terminated.
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) daemon.info pppd[24609]: Connect time 1435.3 minutes.
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) daemon.info pppd[24609]: Sent 22396293 bytes, received 212211494 bytes.
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) user.warn klogd: Delete port 0 from peripheral port set. (0xc0)
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) user.warn klogd: Total WLAN/WDS links: 1
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) user.warn klogd: Device ppp's main Link ID 2 unregistered.
Aug 28 17:12:56 (none) daemon.info pppd[24609]: Serial link disconnected.
Aug 28 17:12:57 (none) daemon.info pppd[24609]: Exit.
Aug 28 17:15:37 (none) syslog.info -- MARK --

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

I just read a thread about it on verizon's discussion board about this and they suggested getting a self powered usb hub to plug the card into to avoid this. I am going to give it a shot once I find one.

#9 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hello I think that you should disable your other internet connections if you have any (Wi-Fi Ethernet) and did you notice if your battery is low because sometimes when your battery is low it starts to shut off devices. maybe you should try changing your power options to high performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users