Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freeze

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

This is a new macbook pro. Im running a core i5 processor with 4 gigs of ram on Mac OS X Snow Leopard Version 10.6.4.

I started my macbook pro and logged in. As soon as the desktop came up i clicked on safari and attempted to time in the address bar. My computer was still attempting to connect to my wifi, i didnt notice that until my computer actually froze.

It froze when i tried typing. Any idea as to what went wrong. Nothing would work but the mouse. I couldnt even pull down a menu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hi Altair,

Did you restart it? If you did, did it freeze again? I have found that on any computer, that if you give them time when they first start they will work better this is because during start up the CPU is under a huge load as all of the systems services and such are loaded. I would not worry about it if it only happens once, if it happens again then just post back here and we will go further. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:58 AM

Hey, thanks for helping me. Yes when it happened the first time I restarted the computer and it worked fine.

It also froze again just a few minutes from when this is posted. I successful force shut down the computer and restarted it. The computer turned on . the desktop took a really long time to load. For example, a mac has info at the top right of the screen like time, spotlight, wifi, battery indicator etc.

Could it be a virus? I have been watching a lot of tv shows from sites I always use. I only use those 2 sites to watch tv shows in the past and have never had problems. Im running Mcafee scan right now.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

It's not a virus, none yet for Mac OS X. Force shutting down your Mac each time is not good for the Mac. What is freezing on your Mac? Is it just Safari or is everything non responsive, i.e. mouse/keyboard unresponsive, can't launch any apps etc.?
If it's Safari or just any other one app a simple Force Quit would work. Apple menu > Force Quit > choose app > Force Quit. Or right click on it's Dock icon > Force Quit if it's unresponsive.

#5 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

The mouse is the only thing that works. All apps are unresponsive, the top drop down menu is unresponsive, even the dock wont show up (I have it set to hide unless mouse is over dock area). The entire system froze not an app. this happened twice

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

Run Software Update from the Apple menu. If the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.9 is listed, download and install it manually.

#7 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

There were three downloads of which MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.9 wasnt one of them.

The three updates were iWork Update 4, Snow Leopard Graphics Update, and Security Update 2010-005.

It froze again this morning before I tried to check for any posts in this thread.

#8 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

thanks your download worked

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,491 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Is it still freezing? :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#10 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Nope. I downloaded the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.9 and the freezing stopped

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,491 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Cool Glad that fixed it! :blink: I will have to remember that download I have a few others it seems with that same issue. :wacko:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users