Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus, malware, infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

We have a Dell (GX 620) I think, may be a different model. XP Pro, I have AVG 9.0 installed, access internet with a USB modem. We've had this computer about a year, bought it re furbished. It has run great until this morning. My husband tried to check eBay for a watched item and several pop up windows warning we were infected with viruses, etc. popped up. One mentioned cookies. He did not click on any of them, he pressed "control, alt, delete" to get rid of them. Most of them allowed this, but one did not. It said it could not allow this action. He just turned computer off manually. I couldn't get many details as he was on his way out the door and I'm at work. If I clean computer back to the way it was when we bought it, will that fix problem or do I need professional removal of virus's? We cannot pay a huge amount to someone to do this. Can we do it ourselves? Do we need more than one virus removal software? We are not very computer savvy with this stuff, though we can follow step by step instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peggy

Edited by Pandy, 25 August 2010 - 08:49 AM.
Moved from Windows XP to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

I've notified a Moderator who will move this topic to the Am I Infected forum where we have members who are well trained in the removal of all different type of infections. Please be patient, and this won't cost you anything but your time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thank You!

#4 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

I too had the same scenario. I eventually went to DELL & they walked me through getting 'AD WARE' software. In my case; I waited longer than you did, I had to have the ad ware installed in "safe mode".

The recommended ad ware: 'Malwarebytes' (anti-malware), 'Spybot-search & destroy', 'SUPERantispyware' free edition. All of these are free to download.

What I didn't realize; still don't quite understand, is that malware or ad-ware is different from anti virus software. I thought, as you also seem too that the virus software, AVG in your case, was all that was needed. I too was using AVG but it didn't have anything to do with the ad-warethat got on my laptop.

There is a topic running a thread on the exact malware attack you are experiencing. These people at BP are very good at solving your computer problems & I would follow their instructions but wanted to share the experience I had.

I kept getting that false anti virus page that said it was scanning the computer for viruses & said my PC was endangered. This was after I clicked on a random Google query. It even went as far to put an icon on the desktop then popped up another page wanting me to send them credit card information so I could buy their software. I too had ran across this problem 3-4 times before & did the Ctrl+Alt+Delete also. I thought I had gotten that malware off but then eventually it got a hold via some Trojan & I was sunk. I went with Dell's technical support but have found the support of this site more than adequate & you'll learn by following their steps.

Again, good move in shutting down your computer & deleting that malware off but it will be back if you don't get the aforementioned malware properly installed. believe me, you do not want to find that out the hard way. Good luck

Edited by mixpix, 25 August 2010 - 02:12 PM.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#5 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks, I've been searching for answers here at work and learned how to restart in safe mode, then disable system restore, run a scan, make sure firewall is on, then I will download Microsoft Security Essentials, Defender, Malicious Software Removal Tool and get Ad-Aware. They also will run a free scan on the computer through their website. I'm going to have cookies removed every time I shut down. I also found detailed instructions on manually finding viruses, spyware, etc., and deleting them. I will write down all file names that are popping up so I can recognize them when I search for them. Of course this all depends on if I can even start in safe mode. Hopefully I can since it just happened. My husband unplugged the USB modem and is using the (slow) laptop.
Hopefully BP will answer quickly and maybe give me more input on what to do.

I appreciate the input, Peggy

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Unfortunately, this wasn't one of our trained staff members that I was suggesting would be able to help you. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users