Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Too Loud

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

So about a week ago I had my custom comp made. A friend helped me build it because I have no idea but anyways we were putting in the graphics card (Gigabyte HD 5970 2GB GDDR5) and he forgot to put two of the cables in. When we turned the computer on it was reallyyyyyy loud. After he saw his mistake, he put the other 2 cables back in (into the psu) and it ran as quiet as a mouse. Now, after I logged in (after my motherboard always asks me permission after logging on) it started getting really loud, pretty much identical to the noise we heard last time - yet all the cables are plugged in.. Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

What kind of sound is it? A loud Buzz, A rattle? I would open the case up and check the location of cables make sure they aren't hitting a fan or something. I might also look to see that all the fans are spinning freely and such.

Are you positive the noise is coming from the graphics card, if it has a fan check that all well(couldn't tell from pics of card but it looks like it does).

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

Exactly; video cards don’t make sounds, so being “too loud” requires a better description.

That the noise started after fiddling inside the case and went away after fiddling inside the case a second time sounds like the first time he closed up, a cable or something got pushed into the (a?) fan, and the second time the cable was pushed away. The HD 5970 has only a small fan opening at the far back of the (relatively long) card, so see if there is something near the back of the case (especially if you have a case with a tray where the whole motherboard and all of its cards slide in and out of the case). Failing that, check other fans in the case.

I’ve had this sort of thing happen before. When you are closing up a system, making sure that cables and such are out of the way of moving parts can easily slip the mind (especially with the excitement after an upgrade).
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

Exactly; video cards don’t make sounds, so being “too loud” requires a better description.

That the noise started after fiddling inside the case and went away after fiddling inside the case a second time sounds like the first time he closed up, a cable or something got pushed into the (a?) fan, and the second time the cable was pushed away. The HD 5970 has only a small fan opening at the far back of the (relatively long) card, so see if there is something near the back of the case (especially if you have a case with a tray where the whole motherboard and all of its cards slide in and out of the case). Failing that, check other fans in the case.

I’ve had this sort of thing happen before. When you are closing up a system, making sure that cables and such are out of the way of moving parts can easily slip the mind (especially with the excitement after an upgrade).

Several nvidia cards have inbuild alarms that go of, if the card is underpowered. It's real loud, so you won't miss it. :D
I've experienced it several times and the technology has been used for more than 5 years at least.
Haven't got a clue about ATI and this card in particular, but in any case I agree there seems to be more to this problem.

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

Several nvidia cards have inbuild alarms that go of, if the card is underpowered. It's real loud, so you won't miss it. :D
I've experienced it several times and the technology has been used for more than 5 years at least.
Haven't got a clue about ATI and this card in particular, but in any case I agree there seems to be more to this problem.

Good point, he did mention that he forgot to attach a cable. Of course without a better description of the sound, we are only “guessing at straws”.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#6 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hmm guess I never knew that they had alarms built in the cards Learn something everyday. Now, im curious as to what that sounds like off to try and find one.

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#7 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Well I couldn’t find a video of the siren, but I did find plenty of videos of video card fans making noise.

-- Synetech

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

So about a week ago I had my custom comp made. A friend helped me build it because I have no idea but anyways we were putting in the graphics card (Gigabyte HD 5970 2GB GDDR5) and he forgot to put two of the cables in. When we turned the computer on it was reallyyyyyy loud. After he saw his mistake, he put the other 2 cables back in (into the psu) and it ran as quiet as a mouse. Now, after I logged in (after my motherboard always asks me permission after logging on) it started getting really loud, pretty much identical to the noise we heard last time - yet all the cables are plugged in.. Thoughts?

If it is doing this at idle then there is something wrong. You can expect the fans to speed up somewhat during gaming.

#9 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Well a friend came over today and it turned out the fan was running at a high speed for some reason? I went into Catalyst control and seleted restore factory defaults and it went back to being whisper quiet. I didn't think it was any of the cables because they were clear of everything. Plus everything was connected properly - the one cable that wasn't connected was something unrelated (I'm told) but if I have to, I can upload a pic or something.

Basically the computers been freezing (it's happened 4 times within the past week) and everytime it freezes, itl give a blue screen saying there was an error and then the computer would reset itself. Upon logging in, the fan would then spin at a faster rate and the incredibly loud noise would start. Although everytime I'd go into Catalyst control, the speed would return to normal (including the noise level) within seconds.

As for the card making noise during gaming, it actually doesn't make much! I figured, playing Starcraft2 on maximum settings, that the noise would be as loud as it was before. However it's quite soft and quiet, but you can tell it's just a little louder than usual. I knew there was a problem when the card was making the extreme noise when it was idle. So it seems the only problem I need to fix is this freezing thing? Hard to remember exactly what it says because the screen is filled with writing and restarts after a few seconds, although the next time it happens I'll try to scan through it quickly.

Just thought I'd add - I read a lot about the drivers with this card being a bit iffy. I uninstalled the latest one, and installed a slightly older one, if that makes a difference.

#10 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

The freezing is happening a lot more now, and although the high fan speed has continued everytime, the last time it froze the fan speed did not increase and remained whisper quiet.

Upon logging back in after the restart, windows gave me this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF80002C9DEC0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\083110-24039-01.dmp
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-46659-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104...mp;clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any ideas?

#11 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

Bump

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

Here is a link to Microsoft.com in relation to the bbcode=F7 error.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...17-b13fb73af850

This is the Windows 7 compatability web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...indows-7/en-us/

This link below provides information regarding hardware that is not working properly in Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...orking-properly

Hopefully, you will be able to figure out what is causing the F7 code error.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:41 AM

Well everytime I tried installing the new drivers, the same thing would happen - Blue Screen =(

Also in windows updates, when I try installing the display update for the Graphics Card, the computer decides to reset as well.. I'll try finding out what's causing the code error and report back here.

Thanks Bruce

#14 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

It's compatible, the latest drivers are installed, it's been freezing A LOT now and I still haven't fixed the problem =( Please help =(

#15 Richie Moore

Richie Moore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

Sometimes the factory default settings for fan speed control are too low and allow the GPU to get too hot. This will cause a video freeze.
I'm not using an ATI card now. So, I'm not sure where the settings are in the software, but you need to find the fan settings and change how the fan speed progresses with GPU temp.
In the nVidia software you create profiles for this. I'm not sure about ATI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users