Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is someone hacking my computer ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orlyisthatso

Orlyisthatso

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

Hello, I have never posted here before but after trying to figure out whats happening with our laptop and not having much luck I need some help. I am so-so at working with the computer and feel comfortable enough to delve into the inner workings of it to figure out what makes it tick and fix things that need it. But I am far from an experienced "computer geek" :thumbsup:

I noticed a few weeks back that there was some activity on the laptop while in sleep mode. I went in and told it to shut down and I received a message saying that there was another user on the computer. Well that was odd because we only have 1 user and the guest (deactivated) on our laptop. So I went ahead and shut down the computer and thought little of it until the next day when I saw the same thing happening. I thought it was something I should look into so I went in and started poking around.
I decided to run a quick virus scan and it said no problems there. I checked to see if there was an automatic update running. Nope. I then checked the users and only saw our 1 account so that seemed fine then I went in to check to see if the firewall was up. Hmmm... it was not, so I turned it on and chose the recommended settings for it and thought OK that should take care of the problem. A few days later I was up late and sure enough the computers little blue light was blinking with activity so I logged in and went to shut down the computer to see if there was another user. Yep, there was the message again saying " are you sure you want to shut down...there additional users ect " well I said NO and went back in to see that the firewall was down again. Sure enough it was. So i figured for sure someone was up to no good and had hacked the computer.
The next night I decided to see if I could find out what was going on. I ran another virus scan and it said no problems. I went into my wireless router and made sure the security was good there with the settings preventing outside users from accessing the network. So I then googled and searched for answers and after seeing ppl checking the processes in task manager to find viruses ect. I decided to check every process with process library and they all checked out as ok. I had 10 svchost running but none with caps or extra letters so I assumed they were ok as well. I ran another full system scan with F-Secure and Windows Defender and nothing. No virus ect. Now I'm not sure what to do, I can't find any additional users from the control panel but when I shut it down it says there is another user and when I turned on the computer today the firewall was turned off again. So it seems like someone or something like a trojan or worm is accessing the computer while its in sleep mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated figuring out what is going on. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2010 - 07:21 AM.
Moved from Vista forum to Am I Hacked ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

Turn off remote settings: (uncheck the relevant box)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

#3 Orlyisthatso

Orlyisthatso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

The remote setting box is not checked. Also I have been shutting the computer down completely when we are done using it and every time I start it back up the firewall is turned off. I think there is a trojan or worm that is programmed to turn off the firewall when the computer boots up. Again the other night when the computer had been put in sleep mode I saw it come on by its self. Also the other day when I was checking settings and verifying processes it just shut down all by its self, just went black all the sudden. Any ideas where to start looking to find out what going on ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users