Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram, Read Tutorial not sure where to go

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:53 AM

my dad built this computer in 2002 I believe. heres the specs

-Windows XP 32bit home edition
-Asus P4R800-VM Motherboard
-Pentium 4 processor
-Kingston value ram KVR400X64C3A/512
-ati Radeon 9100 IGP graphics

I looked inside the computer and noticed 4 slots for ram, read in the tutorial if i wanted to add ram not to use the original cause then it would stay at single instead of mulitple, not sure exactly what that meant. heres a picture of the 4 slots
Posted Image

should i use the same ram as i have and add an identical one at 512 or can i actually use more? what would be the best option? i want to use this computer to stream netflix and live sports games from sites online.

i added the graphics card or whatever its called because i have an hd 22" moniter that ide like to update, any thoughts on that, i tried to update the card but it gave me an error message "setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system" i just typed the name of my graphics card in google and added update, then downloaded the most recent update for it. any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

your mother board can use up to 4 GB of system memory. So the answer to question one is yes you could add more memory. If you would like to use your current memory stick then you should get three more of the same size and speed from kingston. This will give you a total of 2 Gb of memory. If you want to go for the maximum then you will need four new sticks. Check out your mother board manual it has lots of good stuff on how to populate the memory slots and such. The link to it is here:

http://joule.bu.edu/~hazen/LinuxCluster/e1511_p4r800-vm.pdf

As far as the card is concerned I will need to know what the make and model it is so I can point you in the right direction. Look in the device manager to see the name.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

That is a pretty old motherboard, PC2700 OR PC3200.

Each slot will support a maximum of 1GB per slot.

It is capable of running in dual channel, so if you add more RAM you will want to match the spec of the one module that is already installed, or purchase all new matching modules. Dual channel will almost double the speed.

I found a match to your module.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?cli...ed=0CCsQ8wIwAQ#

Edited by dc3, 29 August 2010 - 12:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bassikguitarist

bassikguitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

thanks for the info from both of you, i found the exact model and ordered it, should be in tomorrow, wondering if i should install it with the same color slot or the one right next to it?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Yes, use the same color slots.

Edited by dc3, 29 August 2010 - 11:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users