Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive recognition...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavidDavid

DavidDavid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi,

I couldn't find this specific problem anywhere, but I apologise if it is something obvious/that has already been asked...

Basically, I attempted to plug my external HD, that I use with my laptop PC (Windows 7) into a Mac earlier today. I realise now that this was probably a little unwise. The Mac didn't recognise it, which didn't come entirely as a surprise. When I came to plug it back in to my laptop though, my laptop wouldn't recognise it either. It just didn't register as anything (no error messages or anything). It can't seem to find hide nor hair of it. I plugged it in to an Xbox 360, primarily to check that it was still working/hadn't been wiped clean, and it still registers with that and everything is still on there. But I just can't get my laptop to acknowledge this. I'll admit this is probably mostly due to ignorance on my part, but any help you guys can provide me with would be appreciated (I have quite a few articles and papers on there that I really do need, as well as all the more spurious but useful stuff such as music and whatnot).

Thanks.

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

Every now and then for what ever reason the USB port/s will not power up. One of the work arounds for this it to open the Device Manager and right click on the device tree and select Scan for New Hardware to force a bus reset.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DavidDavid

DavidDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

I had given that a go, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I've tried plugging it in to several different USB ports too, so I don't think it is anything to do with the ports themselves. Thanks though. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Is it showing up in either the BIOS or Disk Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users