Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? Computer plays videos randomly + obscene popups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 leppy

leppy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hello, I am working on a Dell Latitude E6500 running Windows XP SP 3.

The user of this computer reported (and showed me) the computer that was playing, at random popular youtube videos. The entire screen was black except for the youtube video (shown at standard size) in the middle.

I pressed cntl alt del, and when I did, the videos disappeared and there was no unusual application shown. I ran HijackThis and am posting the results to see if anything is running in the background. I also am running Avira Antivirus on the computer to see if it picks up anything. In addition to the videos, there was an obscene pop up that showed in the address bar hxxp://windows-registry-check.com/l/index.php?i=trendmicro.com_l The popup was in an IE window despite Firefox being default.

Thank you for any advice,

Leppy

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 August 2010 - 07:21 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Malware Removal Logs ~ Hamluis. Deactivate link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leppy

leppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

I was able to get things back to operational. For now, I think this can be closed. It is not completely fixed, but the guy using the computer is satisfied. Thanks again.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

As this issue appears to be resolved I am closing the topic. Please send me (or any other Moderator) a Personal Message (PM) if you would like the topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users