Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2007- How do you connect words with dots?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle B

Michelle B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi,
I know this is dumb, but I don't know what you call it when you link words with dots. Like............... This.
I need to have a list in columns, with dots connecting them for easier reading.
Is there a way to do this? If I knew what it was called, I could probably search the help section of Word, but I don't.

Thanks
Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

The extended string of periods is called an ellipsis. But I don't know how long an ellipsis can be most often i've only seen it as three periods in a row, and I dont know that there is a way to automate doing that in word especially for a longer set across columns. Best of luck I'll research a little and see if I can't find an option like that :thumbsup:

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum!

Can you type a quick example of what you are trying to do?
Elipses may not be what you want as they typically consist of only 3 or 4 dots
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Michelle B

Michelle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi,
Thanks for helping- I appreciate it.
To try to sum it up, I am putting together a yearbook. I inherited the format from the previous secretary, and she has some of it set up like this:

Joe Blow..........................................1998
Susie Smith......................................2001
John Doe..........................................2002
etc.

She has them in two, sometimes three columns.. She has it set up so they were always neatly aligned and it automatically added all the dots. The board of directors I work for wants me to do it the same way, but I don't know where to even look for setting up that way.

I hope that makes sense.

Michelle

Edited by Michelle B, 27 August 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

That looks like a Table of Contents
See if this helps
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

Using dots is very tedious. Why not use a Table with the appropriate formatting for each cell?
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

This may be too late and I am surprised no one mentioned this before but having 'leaders' between two points in a document is extremely easy using Tabs.
For example you can type Names starting at the left margin of a line then set a tab (if you want the leader to be equal distant then use a Left tab). When you click to set your tab on the ruler bar on the top of your document you will get a dialog box where you select if you want Left, Right, Center tab and the second selection is type of leader which can be nothing (default), a line of dashes (center in the line such as -------), a solid line at the bottom of the line (______), or a string of dots (..........).
If you can't picture this go to help and search leaders
Anyway, here is the help topic:

Set tab stops with leader characters
Select the paragraph in which you want to insert leader characters before a tab stop.

On the Format menu, click Tabs.

In the Tab stop position box, type the position for a new tab, or select an existing tab stop to which you want to add leader characters.

Under Alignment, select the alignment for text typed at the tab stop.

Under Leader, click the leader option you want, and then click Set.
For Help on an option, click the question mark and then click the option.

Hope this is what you want, if you ever see this!!! It might help someone surfing late one night like I am doing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users