Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i have an irregular mac issue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

i screwwed my dual boot win 7/ ubuntu os's and had to wipe my drive...it becom es a mac issue because i have osx, win 7 and ubuntu, all to choose from for my pc.....only problem is that they are on a mac.....i have to find a way to make one or all of them bootable to pc from a dvd or usb usin a mac....please if you have any insight i have hit desperation....this all happened trying to install os x of all things

Edited by shaunjohn007, 24 August 2010 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi :blink: to BC!!

If you would I am a little confused because your post is a little hard to understand. Let me see if you can clairify some things, first you say you did this all on a mac right? two you want to re-install mac os x on the mac. Then what else are you trying to do? Are you trying to boot to mac os x on a pc or the other OS you described? As I said if you could clarify these and post back then I will/can help you further. :wacko:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

my computer is an hp dv6358se which i am waiting on a hdd....my sisters(an aspire 4370z) is the comp in question...wiith mine outta service and hers with no os on it leaves my moms macbook as the oonly means to make a bootable usb for both to have os....i have iso for win 7, osx, and ubuntu on the mac...i need to figure out how to make a pc bootable usb from a mac

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

this all happened trying to install os x of all things

You tried to install Mac OS X on a PC? That's against Apple's EULA.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

And to add to Buddyme2's "thats against Apples Eula" which means that is not possible and will not be discussed per Bleepingcomputers board rules. But we can help you try and install an operating system and make a bootable usb for your sisters laptop. :blink: Give me a little time and I will try and find a way. :wacko:

Edited by computerxpds, 25 August 2010 - 06:52 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Ok so here is what I have gathered so far, you have a windows 7 disc img right? And now you want to make a usb flash drive bootable with windows 7 using a mac to do all of the following. So here is how you will need to go about it:

Mac OS X

Command Line Interface

1. Download the desired .img file ( you already have this so no need to do this step)
2. Open a Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/)
3.Run

diskutil list
to get the current list of devices
4. Insert your flash media
5.Run
diskutil list
again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)
6.Run
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
(replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)
7.Execute
sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m
(replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.img, /dev/rdiskN is faster than /dev/diskN). If you see the error dd: Invalid number `1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M.
8.Run
diskutil eject /dev/diskN
and remove your flash media when the command completes

Every place there is a code box that is the code you input into terminal. :blink:

Source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

sigcomp.png 

#7 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

hi, thank you for the feedback! i followed the steps but always get hungup on step7....whennn the mac gets back (im using my touch pro 2) i will tell you exactly where the iso is located cause im new to mac and linux so the terminal is ddaunting.....ty ffor takin time :blink: to help me

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Ok that is fine. :blink:

sigcomp.png 

#9 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

windows 7 iso is in the desktop.....

get info says /Users/patriciabonner/Desktop

its called Windows 7.iso

so from step 7 how would i type it.....i have gotten hung up repeatedly

Edited by shaunjohn007, 25 August 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

So it would be like this:

sudo dd if=/Users/patriciabonner/Desktop/windows7.iso of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m

That should work. :blink:

sigcomp.png 

#11 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

it responds like this
dd: /Users/patriciabonner/Desktop/windows7.iso: No such file or directory

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm not experienced with working in Terminal, but would the "w" in windows7iso be causing the error? shaunjohn007 did say that the file is called Windows 7.iso. Maybe the space too after the "s" in windows that's not in your code, computerxpds?

Edited by Buddyme2, 25 August 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#13 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

with the space added it says
dd: unknown operand .iso

#14 shaunjohn007

shaunjohn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

im giving virtual box a shot....it seems the command line route is troublesome

#15 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Sorry I was gone had to check out an ibook that a friend wants to buy,, needless to say it is sitting next to me. So any way yes if there is a space then that would be an issue if there is a capital then it needs to be a capital. :blink:

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users