Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mishdog

mishdog

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

my current pc is experiencing problems so I have been told I can get a replacement but mine is no longer in production.

I want one of the same or better spec. my current one is Inter Core 2 Quad, 4gb RAM and 320GB HD.

I have seen one for only £50 more I am thinking about swapping it for which is:

Intel® Core™ i3-530 (2.93 GHz), 3gb RAM, 640 GB HD.

Is this a much better machine, because I noticed is only dual core? does the fact it is an i3 make up for this?

I use it for poker and want a really fast speed with no lag or problems multi-tasking.

Is it much of a deal dropping from a 4GB to 3GB? I hope the i3 makes up for this.

any advice asap is much appreciated as I need to know in the next day.

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

What's your old system?

Then someone can answer your questions about "much better", etc.

Louis

#3 mishdog

mishdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

I explained what it is on the second line of my post, it is an Intel Core 2 Quad, 4gb RAM and 320GB HD.

Thanks!

#4 mishdog

mishdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

if anyone in the know how could get back to me asap, that would be brill, just I need to take mine back tomorrow.

I popped into pc world again today to ask them but they dont seem to know much IMO, they showed me the "Windows Experience Index" on the i3 dual core packard bell which I am thinking of swapping my core 2 quad for. He assured me it would be a much better scoring than my computer, so I took a pic on my phone and just looked on my computer now to compare them, and both the processor and RAM are notably lower scores!?!

If anyone could help me out it would be great.

The guy ASSURED me that the fact the i3 is only dual core and only has 3gb RAM and not 4gb like my current computer would not mean it is not a lot faster and better at multi tasking than my current quad core.

thanks for any help

#5 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

Well first we need to know the specs of your old comp is it an off the shelf if so what model? Also What model is the one you are looking at?

The i series of processors has a new type of architecure that does provide a boast in performance over most of the older models. If you like to multitask though a quad core would seem better suted to doing many dif apps at the same time If you could please include the manufacture and models of the comps in question we will be better suited to answer your question.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#6 mishdog

mishdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Oh right, I thought the details I gave were enough.

Ok well my current PC is an Advent Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, 4GB RAM

and the PC I am looking to get is http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell...897059-pdt.html - please click on technical details.

The guy in store seemed to think that the fact it is an i3 dual compared to quad core doesnt mean it wont be faster. He also said the i3 dual core will act like a quad core!

any other info needed?

thanks for taking the time to help

#7 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

Well I think the reason that he said it would function like a quad core is Because the i-series has two processing threads that operate on each core where as your quad core only has one per core. So 2x2=4 and 1x4=4 so in that regard it would "act like a quad-core". Hmm, I don't know I'm a large fan of the i-series of processors I think they operate very well and are rather speedy. The extra little boast in clock speed is nice as well 2.5ghz on your quad core bumped up to 2.93ghz on the i3 if that will have any impact on what you do with it or not is hard to say. Poker isn't very intensive to run and you already have four threads in your current system. By poker I'll assume you mean online? I would think in terms of wanting no lag It should be more impacted by your internet connection because it seems your system should be more then capable of playing some poker on it.

Whats making you consider a new system? Is your current system slow because maybe a good system scrub(getting rid of old useless programs and hdd defraging and such) and case cleaning would return your computer to it old, surely snappy self. Oh, also just curious What OS are you running?

-bar

Edited by Barajiqal, 26 August 2010 - 11:56 AM.

"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#8 mishdog

mishdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

appreciate the reply.

well I dont 'want' a new system but like I said this one is faulty and cant be repaired so I can get an exchange - but this one is no longer getting made! which is a shame. and the packard bell I gave the link to is the only one of a similar price really (just £50 more I have to pay).

yeah I mean online poker, but I will give you an idea of the applications I regularly have running at once: firefox with a lot of tabs open, a poker client, a poker database program which I use to play (both this and the client I 'think' are quite intense), skype, camtasia, mikogo (remote access). you think this should be fine? if it were you would you just go for the packard bell then? I cant get a cash refund so not like I can go buy a replacement from somewhere else grrr.

no its not slow, just been getting a problem where it says resources are low and so switches to win7 basic mode. been away for repair but they dont know what the problem is so my only option is to do an exchange.

I am just a bit concerned that the i3 is at the lowest end of the i series. they do the exact same model as what I listed for same price only differences are 500gb hd and 3.07ghz instead of 2.93 - only problem is it doesnt come with wireless! so I am not prepared to waste money buying a wireless usb and setting that up.

hopefully it will be an upgrade from my current system !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users