Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL DIMENSION E520

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shaz123

shaz123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

:thumbsup: Hi i have dell dimension E520. and it wont boot up it starts up fine but it says blank were the windows logo should be ( the loading screen )
can anyone tell me why this is happing. and how can i update the Bios firmware. via cd

thank you

Edited by Budapest, 24 August 2010 - 06:20 PM.
Moved from Introductions ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

First of all, you don't want to do an update of the BIOS. The only time that you want to do this is if you have new hardware that requires a update in order to use it, which isn't often.

How long has this been going on?

Have you tried using the Last Known Good Configuration? To access this, when the computer starts to load press down and hold F8. A black screen will appear eventually with white writing. One of the options is the Last Known Good Configuration. You will need to use the up and down arrows to move the cursor to the location that you want. Once you are there press the Enter key on you keyboard.

Let us know how this goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shaz123

shaz123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

HI Dc3 i have tried everything even Last Known Good Configuration, debug mode. ect ect. Its been going on for a while now i cant be to sure as its a friends computer. I am a pc repair man myself but havent come across this problem before. I have been checking forums and i read some where that a firmware update will fix the problem. As it could be a boot sector virus. Because it is a dell pc you can only update the firmware when the pc is fully loaded. is there any other way.

this what happens

step 1 power up pc
step 2 its starts loading. ( normal start up text )
step 3 were the windows logo should appear its blank.

i believe it could be the onboard graphics card. i will try it with another graphics card today and let you know

Edited by shaz123, 25 August 2010 - 06:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users