Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

graphics probems xp client 2003 sbs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

About a month ago, I replaced 6 XP PC's on a 2003 SBS network with HP 6000 Pro Small Form Factor desktops running XP Pro. The machines came bundled with HP LE2001w 20" widescreen monitors. All was well when I set them up, installed applications, did all Windows updates. All was still well when I joined them to the domain. The trouble started - as improbable as it seems - when I installed Office 2010 Standard Open License via download. Now, when the PC's are rebooted, the monitors go black just before the login window appears. It may come back or it may not. If it comes back, it may be red or blue or green. If you power off the monitor, it will often come back on with correct display; sometimes not. I have remoted in to a machine, had their monitor go black, but I can still see the desktop. Replacing the monitor with one from the old PC fixes the problem (if you can call it that.) I have upgraded the video driver and reverted back to the old one. I have removed the PC from the domain and rejoined using //server/connectcomputer. It seems like a video driver problem, but I'm at wits end. Is it possible a setting is being passed from the server to the client and messing with the video? It seems the problem goes away if you login locally, rather than onto the domain, but the problem is so intermittent, it is hard to tell. Sometimes the monitors will be fine for days; sometimes if it goes blank via screensaver it will come back fine; sometimes when you restart, it will be fine. It most often goes bonkers, however, on restart or cold start. I believe there is one machine that has not had Office 2010 installed and has not had problems. Is there something I can check on that versus the others to troubleshoot?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

Further information: When I look at device manager, the graphics card shows up twice, the monitor three times on all of the problem PC's.
Display adapter: Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset

Monitor: HP LE2001w Wide LCD Monitor

Properties are the same for all duplicate entries. I can delete duplicates, but they come back.

On the PC where we replaced the monitor, it shows up three times as Plug and Play Monitor, but the display is consistently fine.

The only PC that is functioning properly has only one occurrence of the monitor, but two occurances of the adapter. All the machines are identical. The only difference in the one that is working is that we have not installed Microsoft Office 2010 Standard Open License.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Sounds like some kind of weird office conflict with the monitor driver. I would try replacing the driver on a problem computer with the generic plug and play one and see if that solves the issue. Oh and report the error to microsoft if it does fix it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Today, I installed Office 2010 on the PC with the last working monitor and guess what? Upon restart, the monitor background color was much darker, the power indicator light would not come on and the monitor appeared in device manager three times. I have HP and MS working on this, so I'll post back as I learn more. BTW HP warrantied all six monitors, but the display on the new ones was no better. Reinstalled video driver; somewhat better.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

Did you try to uninstall the monitor driver and install the generic plug and play one to see if that affected the issue?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

I did try the generic plug and play; I could not tell any difference. However, after looking at these things for so long, it is very much like going to the eye dr and trying to decide, "Which is better, this one or this one?" as the doctor shows you different lenses. The true test of whether the video driver fixed it will be whether someone comes in and finds their monitor all blue or all green or all red or all black. Wierdest thing I've seen in 30 years of hardware/software.

#7 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

After a week, it looks as if the new video driver resolved the issue. Microsoft thinks there is a possibility there is/was a conflict between Portrait Displays HP Display Assistant, and Office. I do not think that is the case because I did not install the HP Display Assistant when I installed the systems. A tech-savvy user, who graciously helped me on-site since I'm five hours away, installed it to actually get the monitors usable again after the problem began.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users