Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up hangs up intermittently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 finewine99

finewine99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Every 4th or 5th time after I power down for the night and start up in the morning, AVG and MOZY loads on the lower toolbar and then the hourglass twirls and the rest of the loading process is stopped. I have use of the mouse but cannot open any application and cannot control/alt/delete to get to the task manager. I have waited for up to 15-20 minutes to see if something is having an issue loading - but nothing. I have to power off completely. The next power-on operates normally during the 2nd start up. The only other program on the start up toolbar is my dsl local area connection and I cannot tell if that has loaded or not.
I have WIN XP Professional. Thanks to anyone who has an idea what this might be! theWineO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

I woud start with a disk check, running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

If this has been happening for only a coupe of weeks or so, try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that was prior to your trouble. Click on Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Edited by dc3, 24 August 2010 - 05:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 finewine99

finewine99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

I woud start with a disk check, running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

This is the first time I have replied on this forum. Hope I do this right!

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I went to the website and I "think" I can orchestrate the instructions.

I have done the windows "diskcheck" on occasion - but that hasn't resolved the problem.
Thanks again! DaWineO

#5 finewine99

finewine99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

If this has been happening for only a coupe of weeks or so, try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that was prior to your trouble. Click on Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

This has actually been going on for quite some time. Actually, I may have mispoken saying it's every 4 or 5 times. It may go for a week or more before it repeats the hang-up. It always boots right up when I power off and back on. Such a mystery...

Thanks so much for taking time to reply. DaWineO

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

Just for the record...chkdsk is a Windows tool for dealing with files and some file system and some hard drive problems. Although it is is a very useful tool and does many things, it's not really a hard drive diagnostic.

Hard drive diagnostics are utilities developed by the hard drive manufacturers...to test the functionality of their products. They may also include utilities to fix/overcome certain problems...but the main intent is to assess the functionality of the hard drive compared to how it is intended to function.

Often, users like me...will run chkdsk /r and run into problems that cannot be handled by it. At that time, I run a hard drive diagnostic...so that I can get an idea if it is the hard drive itself that is the problem.

Louis

#7 finewine99

finewine99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Just for the record...chkdsk is a Windows tool for dealing with files and some file system and some hard drive problems. Although it is is a very useful tool and does many things, it's not really a hard drive diagnostic.

Hard drive diagnostics are utilities developed by the hard drive manufacturers...to test the functionality of their products. They may also include utilities to fix/overcome certain problems...but the main intent is to assess the functionality of the hard drive compared to how it is intended to function.

Often, users like me...will run chkdsk /r and run into problems that cannot be handled by it. At that time, I run a hard drive diagnostic...so that I can get an idea if it is the hard drive itself that is the problem.

Louis

Excellent information!! thanks again :+) DaWineO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users