Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning for NOD32 users against the MBAM realtime protection module

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi folks,
I just figured I'd put this out for folks thinking or, who already own a license to MBAM and have it's protection module running, since I just talked to Eset support on Friday about something else I was curious about, and this just came up in the conversation. I know it is very good to have two realtime protection modules running as long as they don't use the same detection database, but it looks like that's not a good idea for NOD32 users. It was stated by the woman I spoke to at support that it can cause conflicts with both installation of NOD and scanning. Just a fair warning for you.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Norton products don't do well with other real time applications either. Some will stop it installing properly, others stop it from scanning or updating properly.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Any real-time protect program can cause issues when installing an anti-virus and should be disabled prior to the install.

I know it is very good to have two realtime protection modules running as long as they don't use the same detection database

That's not quite true.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, that is not a universal rule. If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while these programs are scanning (reading) files regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Sometimes you have to experiment to see what works for your particular system. I used MBAM's Protection Module along side NOD32 and they work fine together on my system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

So I find it odd then that Eset support didn't simply tell this customer who called in telling them that MBAM was causing issues to disable it? I wonder why they'd tell them to simply cancel their license with MBAM. Can you think of any reason?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Can you think of any reason?

In my experience, not all support personnel are competent. Many times they read scripted replies from a manual and cannot think "out of the box" when asked a question not fully covered. I encountered such a person when simply trying to renew my license.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users