Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery draining on AC power.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rach98n

rach98n

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi all. I have a HP DV4 Pavillion that is just over a year old. It was fine yesterday. I used it this morning and left it in sleep mode, plugged in, while out this morning. When I came back, it would not turn on - no battery (plugged in again). Removed and replaced the battery when it finally powered up (this time unplugged). As soon as I plugged in the AC, it shut down. My daughter has a Compaq, so I used her power cord which appeared to be just fine. Turned the computer off, but left it plugged in for about 2 hours. When I turned it back on, the battery was completely drained. Switched my daughters battery into my laptop, which started draining very quickly even though it was plugged in. Switched my battery to her laptop and it is charging. I know that is all convoluted, but any advice?

ETA: I tried plugging it in w/o the battery and it does not recognize the power supply.

Edited by rach98n, 24 August 2010 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have heard of the Pavillion DV4 line of laptops before, the trouble with the model number you supplied us with is it is an incomplete model number.

Can you please check the bottom of your laptop for the complete model number and post that in your next reply?

Many thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Bruce. The model is DV4-1220US .

Another couple of details...

When I boot on battery, then plug in my power cord, it instantly shuts off (not a freeze, a complete shut off).

When I plug in my daughter's power cord, the power light comes on, the screen illuminates, and the battery indicator says "plugged in, charging", however, the battery drains quickly.\

I also took it apart somewhat tonight and don't see anything loose at the power jack.

Thanks for any help. I'm thinking a mother board problem, but I sure hope not. If so, what do mother boards cost? Is it worth repairing?

Rachel

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Well based on what you just stated, I am leaning towards an issue with the AC adapter and the mother board, I think that the AC adapter might have gone bad causing a failure in the mother board as a result of the AC adapters failure. So if you use another adapter then that is the result it will work but the circuitry that charges the battery is already fried. But wait until Bruce come back just to confirm or denies my explanation. (2 opinions are always better than the other). There would really be no fix other than to get a new battery mobo and AC adapter.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

A rectified power supply is comprise of a bridged diode assembly. If one of the diodes dies there shouldn't be any out put. So... how do you believe this has affected the motherboard? To add to this, the primary side of the step down transformer is very well isolated from the secondary side. You would have to have a catastrophic failure in order for this to happen. We're talking literally about a melt down.

Edited by dc3, 25 August 2010 - 06:38 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

If you're asking me, I don't have any clue. My guess is something in the charging circuit is messed up somehow. I just assumed it was a part of the motherboard which I could be completely wrong (I hope!).

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

My apologies Rach98n, I was addressing the previous post to mine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

No apologies necessary! I wish I understood the inner workings...I have a computer degree and can handle installing hardware, software, de-virusing, etc...pretty much anything except this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users