Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My "c" Drive Is "e"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twindad

twindad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

This is my 1st request for help, I'll try & keep it to the point.

My system is;
Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra
Althon XP 2500
RAM: 512mb 2700
120Gb Maxtor HDD
LG DVD RW
ATI 9600 Pro
100 ZIP Drive
HP PSC 2210 All in One
Only using IDE channels 1 & 2

My problem. 40Gb hard drive failed wasn't sure if complete failure so installed new 120Gb as Master with the 40Gb as Slave. System reported slave as failed & wouldn't boot. Disconnected 40 drive, system booted & I installed XP no problem. When I check My Computer my 120GB is showing as the "E" drive, my DVD is the "D", my Zip Drive as the "C" & the PSC2210 as the "F" drive. Can I change the Hard Drive to "C", if so how??

Any help would be much appriciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

Hi Twindad,

Make sure all of the mentioned devices are jumpered correctly. On the back of each component, you will see a jumper/pin area - beside the data cable that plugs into the back of the drive. It general displays MA - master; SL - Slave; CS - Cable Select. On the newer systems, Cable select works fine. Make sure your boot disk is plugged into the appropriate place on the cable. Otherwise... use master/slave settings. Your boot drive should be the master on the primary IDE channel (0). The second device should be slave. The secondary IDE channel should have a master/slave setup as well. If I remember correctly, the zip drive can be serial, internal - plugged into a floopy spot, or usb.

If all of the above is correct, go into your control panel and select - performance and maintenance - administrative tools - computer management and a window will open. if you look down the left side you will see Disk management. Select that. On the right, you will see all your devices listed. At bottom right, RIGHT click the device and change its letter. I would make room for C first and then move your primary drive to the C designation.

I hope this helps....

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:50 PM

Unless you really use the zip drive I would remove it altogether.
It's antiquated!

Use a usb pen drive instead. You can get them in sizes up to 2gigs now and they will be workable on any pc with a usb port.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:42 PM

Swap the IDE cable connections of your ZIP drive and your 120GB Maxtor. That should fix it.

C: is allocated to the first partition of the Master drive on IDE channel 0, unless reallocated by Windows in the way Rigel described. The problem with the latter is if you booted from a CD for any reason you would find your drive was not C: anymore which could be confusing.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 twindad

twindad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, I will try out the various suggestions over the next few days & let you know how I get on.

Must get some work done now,

Thanks

Twindad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users