Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix caused USB issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Protech803

Protech803

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hello everyone. My tech ran combofix on a customer's computer and now her usb ports will not work. Code 41 with the yellow explanations in device manager. Even a Belkin PCI usb card will not work as the PCI to USB Open Host Controller will not load the correct diver. Any ideas how to fix this? The computer is a Dell Dimension B110 running Windows XP Home

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hi Protech803, and Welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try this, go to the Device Manager and right click on the device tree and select Scan for New Hardware to force a bus reset.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Protech803

Protech803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hello Arach. Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this numerous times but it fails. It results in the same condition with Code 41, yellow explanations, etc. No devices can be used when plugged into the usb ports. Keyboard, external drives, printers, etc. The imbedded nic works without issue. The usb ports alone seem to be having the issue. Reinstalling Dell drivers has no effect either.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Combofix may have damaged a file. If running chkdsk /r doesn't produce any results you may want to do a repair installation. A repair installation won't affect any of your data.

You seem to be fairly computer literate, but if you need instructions for this I will be glad to post them.

Edited by dc3, 24 August 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#6 Protech803

Protech803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Arach. I found a windows home disk and completed an in place upgrade (repair). shortly before I attempted this, the ps2 mouse started having the same issue. ps2 keyboard is working fine for now. The repair did not affect the status of the mouse or usb. I've never seen or even heard of this happening before. It's as if components on the system board are slowly degrading. At this point, I'm not confident that a complete wipe and reinstall would work. It may be coincidental about combofix so I don't want to blame it unnecessarily.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

If a repair installation didn't work, then I'm concerned about the integrity of the hdd. Go to the web site of the manufacturer and download their diagnostic program and run it to see if there is a problem with the hdd.

#8 Protech803

Protech803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

DC3 (sorry, I had your name wrong, I'm definitely a newbie) You and I are on the same page. Yesterday, I noticed some strange behavior when I began backing up data from the drive (in preparation of a wipe and reinstall). Thanks for the suggestion to download the hdd diag tool. I have downloaded Samsung's es-tool and will let you know the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users