Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't load up anymore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi. My Sony Vaio laptop won't load up anymore. When moved I sometimes got the blue screen of death, it restarted and it was fine. But yesterday I moved it slightly and it got the blue screen of death again. It came up with the screen asking if I wanted to load Windows normally or in safe mode. No matter which I click it starts to load then gets the blue screen of death and restarts again, then showing the safe mode option screen again.

I have no clue what the blue screen of death screen says as it doesn't stay up for more than a second.

I have no back up disks. It doesn't seem to want to show the BIOS. It is running Windows XP.

What is most likely to have caused the problem and what can I do to fix it? I'd rather not wipe the hard drive and start again unless I really really have to.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Have you tried booting into safe mode yet?

When you turn the computer on repeatedly press the F8 key until a menu pops up with options. Towards the bottom there is an option that states "Disable automatic reboot on system failure" highlight this option and press enter, your computer should reboot and if it blue screens could you please post the exact error code you are getting?

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

Have you tried booting into safe mode yet?

When you turn the computer on repeatedly press the F8 key until a menu pops up with options. Towards the bottom there is an option that states "Disable automatic reboot on system failure" highlight this option and press enter, your computer should reboot and if it blue screens could you please post the exact error code you are getting?

Safe mode didn't work, it still did the same

I did that and the error code is:

0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x84B3CA38, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

The message before that says:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart you computer.

#4 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

Looks like 0x24 is an NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM bsod. I would first try booting from your original Windows XP CD and hitting "R" for recovery console when it gives you the option.

Once in the recovery console it will ask you which system you want to repair, it will list the systems it recognizes yours will most likely be 1. C:\Windows. Enter "1" and press enter, your administrator password is most likely blank (unless you've changed it) so press enter again. You should then get a C: prompt where you can type, this is when you enter CHKDSK /R and let it do its work (could take a while)

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Looks like 0x24 is an NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM bsod. I would first try booting from your original Windows XP CD and hitting "R" for recovery console when it gives you the option.

Once in the recovery console it will ask you which system you want to repair, it will list the systems it recognizes yours will most likely be 1. C:\Windows. Enter "1" and press enter, your administrator password is most likely blank (unless you've changed it) so press enter again. You should then get a C: prompt where you can type, this is when you enter CHKDSK /R and let it do its work (could take a while)

I have no disk to boot from. Is there any other way?

#6 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

You could download one here: *URL removed due to Copyright Concerns; See Below for alternative*

You will need to burn the .iso image to a CD

Edited by Andrew, 25 August 2010 - 10:00 PM.
Mod Edit: Remove RC.iso link -AA

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to Successfully Burn ISO-image to CD/DVD, Various Applications - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Due to Copyright concerns, linking directly to a premade ISO file of the recovery console isn't permitted.

However, you can use ARCDC to automatically download the necessary files from Microsoft and compile your own ISO file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users