Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Icons dissapeared! Help :(

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

After installing Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster, I pinned them to my Windows 7 taskbar and all was well. I decided to delete the shortcuts from my desktop, and for some reason the icons disappeared and reverted to the generic windows icon for these two programs, and only these two. (Even though I deleted the shortcuts for other programs that are pinned with no issues). The icon still exists on the computer, as I can select it when I go to properties and try to change the icon manually, but this doesn't do anything. Both the pinned icon and the actual .exe icon are the generic windows file icon - and I have no clue why this would be happening! Your help would be greatly appreciated.

To recap: Not only are the shortcuts not showing the proper icon, but the original, non-shortcut .exe is not showing it either. I have deleted the icon cache and still it does not show.

Edited by fgeelo, 25 August 2010 - 05:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

You could try to just right click drag the original icon to your taskbar and then see what the options are when you release the right click. This would eliminate the step of copying them to your desktop first, which is probably causing the issues to begin with.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Have you rebooted since deleting the icon cache?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Have you rebooted since deleting the icon cache?

Yes, I have. After initially restarting I went and fiddled around with the taskbar icons by going into properties, and somehow after a bit of fiddling the task bar icons showed up, but the original .exe for malwarebytes is still not showing its icon. I am more concerned about why this is happening more so than as to how to fix it. Thinking back, when I started up my PC, explorer.exe crashed and i dont know why that happened and i think this happened sometime after that happening but I cannot be certain. This was done on a friends laptop which had JUST recently installed a fresh copy of windows 7 by me, with the only programs installed being anti spyware such as MBAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Winpatrol and MSE. There were multiple restarts done to install updates and other programs, with one of the restarts having explorer.exe crash as, I said. But i dont know if this is related. Thanks for your continued help.

Edited by fgeelo, 24 August 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Do you know what time it crashed? I would check event viewer for critical errors.

#6 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

Yes, I have the time that it crashed with a log of the critical error.

Time
9:08pm

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16450
Application Timestamp: 4aebab8d
Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16644
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c4ef25d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000094f15
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: fdfc
Additional Information 2: fdfc3e3147558dc924b682f876154194
Additional Information 3: 541f
Additional Information 4: 541ff5b6560814b91f3044b8a31442ae

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 19898308

Once again though, I cannot be sure if this is related. Is it possible that it's a virus? As I said, the laptop had a completely new, fresh install of Windows 7 and the only programs installed are Adobe Flash, Products from Javacool (the makers of Spywareblaster), Java, MBAM, MSE, Firefox, Spybot, SAS, Ventrilo, World of Warcraft, Winpatrol, Logitech Drivers, and Windows Live Essentials. So I would find it peculiar if it was a virus.. even so I find it more peculiar that I would run into something like this when the OS had just been installed and was already updated before installing anything, etc. Thanks again for your continued support.

To show you the icon I speak of: MBAM Icon

(By the way, I also changed the name of my system a couple of times and perhaps this may have made some issues with file paths? Even though I myself have created no specific ones.. To add furthur credence to this, when I go to CMD and type %userprofile% it will then say "C:\Users\(Old PC name)' is not recognized as an internal of external command, operable program or batch file." Keep in mind though that as far as I know the source .exe I am talking about isn't located in my Users folder. I dunno, just some extra information, hopefully it helps.)

UPDATE: I did multiple spyware scans, none detecting anything but Superantispyware DID detect some rather harmless tracking cookies. After this, I rebooted my PC, went to safe mode, found that the icon for MBAM was WORKING properly. Went back to normal windows, and lo and behold it is working properly! I am so, so, so confused. Why on earth did this happen and why on earth did it fix itself like this? O_O

UPDATE 2: I just remembered that I actually had the Iconcache file previously deleted, but in my recycle bin. Before restarting, I emptied the bin and properly deleted everything. Would having the cache in the recycle bin count as it not really being deleted therefore being the reason for the issue fixing itself once I properly got rid of it? Anyway, please reply as I am still perplexed as to why this even happened in the first place. Thanks again!

Edited by fgeelo, 25 August 2010 - 06:45 AM.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Ok, this is starting to make sense. The error says that there was a crash in shell32.dll which is the windows shell. It's the main graphical interface of windows where you get start menu and taskbar and things like that, maybe icons too. If that is the case and windows crashed, in the shell specifically, it would make sense that it would be repaired after a reboot because the shell gets reloaded. Whatever caused you to crash probably caused the icon problem. You have already scanned for spyware so I would just do windows update and keep an eye on it but probably nothing to worry about too much.

Edited by thrillhouse, 25 August 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#8 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Ok, this is starting to make sense. The error says that there was a crash in shell32.dll which is the windows shell. It's the main graphical interface of windows where you get start menu and taskbar and things like that, maybe icons too. If that is the case and windows crashed, in the shell specifically, it would make sense that it would be repaired after a reboot because the shell gets reloaded. Whatever caused you to crash probably caused the icon problem. You have already scanned for spyware so I would just do windows update and keep an eye on it but probably nothing to worry about too much.

Maybe so, but it did not fix itself after rebooting. I'd rebooted several times to no avail. If you look at UPDATE 2 in my previous post, do you think that may have been the fix? Would having the iconcache in the recycle bin, but NOT deleted properly, cause windows to not make a new one therefore not fixing the problem? Also, do you know why explorer even would have crashed like that in the first place, given that this is a brand new laptop with a brand new W7? (it crashed just seconds after the system logged into windows)

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I think it depends on how you went about the renaming. If you just renamed the file folder in windows explorer than yea, most likely that was bad. But if you went through control panel and system and clicked change computer name there should be no problem. Sorry I am not more help. It might be worth your time if you are still having the problem to search microsoft's newsgroups for blank icons or missing icons or something like that and see what others have tried. I have never experienced this and can imagine it is frustrating, but the good thing is that since the computer is pretty new you could just format and reinstall everything as a last resort. Remember to back up important stuff elsewhere.

The fact that it still works in safe mode makes me think that it is some kind of conflict with your startup programs. If you do windows key and r to bring up run and then type in msconfig and undo the startups one at a time (rebooting each time) you can try to narrow it down that way. Other than that I don't know, it's just one of those weird frustrating computer problems.

If you have hijackthis or something similar that generate a list of your startup programs, post them and I will see if any are known to cause trouble. Good luck.

#10 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

As I have already said, it is now working in normal windows, not just safe mode. This happened after I completely deleted the iconcache from my recycle bin. My question was if wether or not if you put the iconache in the bin but dont empty it, windows thinks it still exists and therefore doesn't create a new one? Also, I renamed via proper means, using the control panel, yet windows still thinks it's the old name, judging by that CMD prompt and my User file name. Anyway, I'll post a log here for you. Hopefully it can shed some light onto why explorer crashed in the first place.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:29:44 AM, on 26/08/2010
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\CameraHelperShell.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Users\A\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWS] C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Logitech . Product Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\Ereg\eReg.exe
O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE64.EXE
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcS64) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 6601 bytes

..There's alot of "Unkown Owner"'s and "File Missing"'s in there... that can't be good?

Edited by fgeelo, 25 August 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

HJT logs aren't supposed to be analyzed in this forum! You are running a 64 bit version of Windows and HJT can't decipher those services .... it's a glitch in HJT. The files aren't missing.

You need an active Anti-virus. Download MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

my fault, I asked for a startup log and suggested hijack this because I knew it can generate one. Sorry for the confusion.

#13 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

HJT logs aren't supposed to be analyzed in this forum! You are running a 64 bit version of Windows and HJT can't decipher those services .... it's a glitch in HJT. The files aren't missing.

You need an active Anti-virus. Download MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

But MSE is installed on this computer! Has been from day one - as I said in my previous post. Is there something wrong that's not showing up properly?

Anyway, I uploaded that log because thrillhouse asked me to, so I am sorry.

I just wish someone could provide some furthur insight as to wether or not they know why this issue happened in the first place. I mean, what would cause explorer.exe to crash and then possibly corrupt the icon cache on a brand new install of Windows 7?? It just seems really peculiar.

Edited by fgeelo, 26 August 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#14 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Can anyone please provide furthur insight into the post above? I really want to get to the bottom of why this occured (as well as the questions I had in my above post pertaining to MSE and such) before I give the a-ok for this laptop, as I am still very curious. Your help is really appreciated.

Edited by fgeelo, 27 August 2010 - 09:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users