Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Hkdrv

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

I'm at work and just finished Googling for a missing driver. At home, right after login early this morning, the screen said E-Power ... Missing hkdrv driver.

Several sites indicate it's a COMPAL power thing, possibly for fan management, and apparently driver is rough to find. If it's fan management, it's important in that laptops do not like getting hot, but I do hear the fan running.

Here comes the funny part - one of the links from Google took me right into MY OWN post from June
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtopic=22670
containing HJT log - sure enough, 2/3rds down the post was a process of that name :thumbsup:
"Compal E-POWER Driver: System32\Drivers\hkdrv.sys (manual start)"

1. How did I lose it overnight with computer that was shut down and was fine?
2. Where to I find this driver?
3. How do I install it, where, when?
4. Please give me a step-by-step for dummies, I've got to get it working tonight.

I looked in Toshiba site, found nothing.

Computer is Toshiba laptop Satelite A75S226.

Edited by tos226, 02 November 2005 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

Do you have the restore disks?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Do you have the restore disks?

> I have a still unopened CD that came with the laptop - is that what you mean? I'd be afraid to use it, it was just before the upgrade to XP-SP2, so is seriously out of date. And Toshiba keeps pushing updates all the time.
> I also have backups about 2 months old of the whole Windows directory on an external drive (used Robocopy).
> One thing I can't do at this point is system restore - so I need another way - as restore is worthless, refused to restore once when I thought I needed it. Just as well, I don't trust it.

The details of the screen were (I just read my email from home to work)
Title: E-Power utility

An I just remembered something. Convoluted, notes at home, but might be related.
Over the weekend, I was testing a firewall. I wanted to test as different users. I have Admin rights. I do not do hibernation. I wanted to make sure hibernation does not kick in, and as I was checking that, I noticed, that the normally available Toshiba power management was greyd out. Yet Microsoft's (?) power management was telling me to use Toshiba.

So I went in as AltAdmin, which is a real administrator (I think). Here Power management worked, but I have a hunch it was not Toshiba's. I was able to shut off hibernation for AltAdmin, wondered what's going on and promptly forgot that it was weird.

So did Microsoft or some other power management hijack Toshiba power management for one user?

Sorry for the long story, but I have a hunch it might help you help me.

Edited by tos226, 02 November 2005 - 10:50 AM.

#4 Couch Potato

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

You can download the driver at DriverGuide.com. You need to register but all you need is an email address.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

You can download the driver at DriverGuide.com. You need to register but all you need is an email address.

Thanks, Couch Potato

But is that a reputable site? I registered, but had to go through so many screens where they were trying to sell me everything from driver guide, to computer performance, and, I'm not kidding, via gr a (spaced out so it won't be indexed by google) :thumbsup: .

Office McAffee didn't stop it. Pest Patrol didn't stop it. So I'll put it on my computer, unless I find a backup or an expert here tells me not to.

Do I just put it into windows\system32 directory where it seems to have been?
And why is it not there anymore? How can you lose a driver?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:55 PM

You should keep your restore points current. If you were to have a problem it could be the only thing keeping you from a system install.
All system restore does is put you computer back to where it was when you saved a restore point.
You could us the restore Disk that came with your computer to try and repair the OS. It should not uninstall any of your updates. If it comes across a newer file it will prompt you whether or not to replace it.

Do not confuse The Restore Disk, that can with your computer, with System Restore, which is a compontant of Windows XP.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

Driverguide.com is reputable.

You can also try to get a current restore disk from your computer manufacturer (who will probably provide it after some arguing).

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

HKDRV.SYS is a is a COMPAL driver for power management. Perhaps it could be included in the list on this site?

Enthusiast, I did not see your post until this moment. Wish I hadn't missed after CouchPotato suggested it because of risks I took.

I did not find the driver in my \Windows backups from September. I wonder why.

I decided to just follow the advice from expert acklan and the bleeping kitty.
I ran the restore job to the day before and it actually worked this time. WHAT IF IT DIDN'T as it happened to me once when I tried?

That driver site's file has the same properties as what was in restore. Good to know it exists and is ok.

And how can a driver just disappear?

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: Finally, this:
I checked the Toshiba site. No such driver. I called tech support.
Believe me, I could not make up the scene that followed.
The tech there has never heard of HKDRV and had no idea why it got lost.
But for $35 he'll fix it for sure, he said...
- Do you have the restore disk?
- yes I do, prefer not to use it since in over a year lots of upgrades occured including SP2
- Oh, you have SP2 [surprise in his voice, like it's something from last Tuesday's upgrade]
and downhill from there, including a suggestion to remove and add back the CD driver in Device Manager because that's what's definitely broken but if not, call us back and for $35 we'll get you going :cool:
Very polite, very nice. I ignored it. I do better here.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Look here!

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

But is that a reputable site? I registered, but had to go through so many screens where they were trying to sell me everything from driver guide, to computer performance, and, I'm not kidding, via gr a (spaced out so it won't be indexed by google) :thumbsup: .

I have used it regularly over the passed several years. You do have valid concerns though. The files are from contribution by the members. This could be suspect. I have not had a virus on my computer in several years and my AV has not detect one from any downloads from this site. It is my last resource for that reason.

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

acklan, as I wrote, the driver site is all sorted out by now for me.

Most important at this point, I forgot to say thank you. System restore scares me, but it did the job day after! :thumbsup: and has been good since. I wanted to make sure before posting all those gory details.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:42 PM

acklan, as I wrote, the driver site is all sorted out by now for me.

Most important at this point, I forgot to say thank you. System restore scares me, but it did the job day after! :thumbsup: and has been good since. I wanted to make sure before posting all those gory details.

I am glad I could help. You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users