Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpywareNuker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:21 AM

:thumbsup: I just received a post on a group site by e-mail that recommends SpywareNuker. I would like to know how this rates in the eyes of you seasoned professionals...are there cautionary notes...is it recommended???
:flowers: Thanks
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

It looks like it was removed from the Rogue Spyware List.
Rogue Spyware List

Note on SpywareNuker &  pcOrion:  Spyware Nuker and pcOrion are re-branded clones of one another; both are distributed by TrekBlue/TrekData. Spyware Nuker and pcOrion were listed on this page on this page primarily because of issues surrounding Version 1 of Spyware Nuker, because of TrekBlue's murky relationship with the adware distributor BlueHaven Media, and because of objectionable advertising that used to appear on the pcOrion home page.

Version 1 of Spyware Nuker had a deservedly poor reputation. It was a clone of BPS Spyware & Adware Remover, which itself is a rip-off of Ad-aware (1, 2) and Spybot Search & Destroy (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Moreover, it was prone to ridiculous false positives, like the other clones of BPS Spyware & Adware Remover. (Contrary to allegations on the Net, no version of SpywareNuker or pcOrion, so far as we can tell, has itself installed adware or spyware.)

In the late spring or early summer of 2004, TrekBlue released a new version of SpywareNuker (version 2, also known as SpywareNuker 2004) which is not built on the codebase licensed from BPS (1). Testing with this new version  -- also released under the name pcOrion -- indicates that it does detect and remove spyware and adware. Moreover it is not prone to inexcusable false positives, as its predecessor was. Thus, the new SpywareNuker 2004 is a significant improvement on the justly discredited original version of SpywareNuker. Still further, the objectionable advertising on the pcOrion home page has been removed, and TrekBlue/TrekData has taken steps to clarify the history of its relationship with BlueHaven, which is no longer a TrekBlue/TrekData company. (1, 2)

Given that the issues surrounding Spyware Nuker and pcOrion have been addressed by the TrekBlue/TrekData, we can no longer consider Spyware Nuker or pcOrion to be "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.

You can check the results of spyware testing:
here
and here

Test Overview
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

I have used this particular programme. However, the most commonly praised programs for spyware detection and removal are Sybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-AwareSE- - - both of which are free. Both are highly regarded and recommended on these boards.
If you have these installed, I would suggest that adding additional applications will not provide enough additional security to warrant using them, if you are at all carefull about how you use the Internet.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:07 AM

:flowers: Thanks so much for responding, tg--and with such a comprehensive assessment. Well, jg, I have Ad-aware, and have been using that. I was using Spybot Search and Destroy...but I uninstalled it. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what to do with those pop-up boxes...and I clicked on the wrong thing and ended up wiping out my files. I had to apply application recovery (HP), and I'm not fully recovered yet. I can't download from the Windows download site...I ordered the cd for SP2...cause I can't download it.
I have a trial subscription to Spyweeper. So, what's the take on that one? Anyway, SpybotSearchandDestroy wasn't getting rid of those ds exploits (think that's what it was). I'm just not good with the technical end of things...I'm hoping for improvement from hanging out in Bleeping. :thumbsup:
noonytunes

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

You're welcome.
You really should use Spybot. There is a very good tutorial, on this site, here.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:47 PM

That DS Exploit reading is just something that erroneously Spybot has been coming up with--it is not and threat and not worth bothering with (so I have read). I presume when they update Spybot next it will be gone. I concur as to the value of Spybot and AD-Aware in tandem--I also use a free "Spysweeper" that is provided by my ISP. I also use Spywareblaster- that is a guard against the Active X vulnarability (mostly useful I think prior to WIN XP sp2). It is recommended on this site and you can link to it by using search on this BB if you want it.

Good hunting--I hate/dispise highjackers and malware people :thumbsup: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#7 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

Me again--I also updated SP2 with the CD--worked real good--took longer than I thought to install--worth the wait for sure. I don't think you will need spysweeper.
It does catch some little critters the others won't-mostly little cookies-but I wouln't pay for it. It is good cookie catcher--but you can do just as well by making all cookies that wish to post on your harddrive give you a prompt first. If you are using WIN MSIE (browser) you can set that to prompt in Internet options. For more info on security/protection there are some good writups on this BB as to how to set up your Browser security and also on a site called the Black Viper.

good luck-I loath all malware people and their ilk :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

You should be using these basic programs.

aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

If not, you should really consider it. These programs, updated and
used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans,
keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do serious damage if not used properly.

Blackviper - Windows Service Configurations

Also, you might want to consider a browser more secure than IE, if you're not using one, such as:

FIREFOX
Firefox FAQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users