Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not boot;

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 J2FcM

J2FcM

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

I'll keep this simple,
after doing nothing specific or unusual last Saturday, I ended up with one of those pop up "youre infected must scan now!" PC Defender type viruses (I dont remember exact name)... VERY soon after, almost all programs ceased to work, giving me some bizzare error message.

I restart in safe mode, and run RKILL, then Malware; found 11 infections, removed them... figured ok, prolly not clean YET, but at least the computers workin.
Started playin on STEAM, and my friend said that my Ventrilo kept cutting out... so I try to restart...

Restart offers me the typical black screen "Start in Safe Mode", etc... etc... If I try that the screen fills up about 3/4 with system 32 files loading and freezes... if I start in Normal mode, or last known config, it just freezes.

Bios shows all 3 harddrives are there.
Booting with Windows CD didnt seem to work thus far (this is XP).

As of now, I'm very worried about losing the info on my HDs...specifically the HD with my OS... for it contains a lot of pictures that I have yet to back up...

Actions I have taken;

1 - I created a Ultimate Boot CD for windows using Service Pack 1. This seemed to not work at all.
2 - Then I attempted to slip stream in service pack 3 using these instructions... the CD seemed to be made without error.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

Unfortunately, even when I set my boot order to CD Rom, it doesn't start the CD rom first. I use F2 to go into BIOS settings and its set to CD ROM, but I can also hit F12 on boot up to take me to another bot order screen which seems to always be stuck on HD first. in either case it doesn't seem to be kicking in.

As of this point do I ned to just yank out the main HD and put in a new one and install windows.... then plug n the infected HD as a secondary to retrieve my media files, and then wipe it clean, then switch it back to the main HD and reinstall windows on it?

UPDATE;

I will be purchasing a new CD drive because historically mine has been sporadic, so maybe that will help.

EDIT: Posts merged ~BP

Edited by Budapest, 26 August 2010 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

Hi, please let me know if you are able to boot form the CD once you have a new CD drive.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Hi, are you still there?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

OK

here is what I did;

Got a new CD drive. no dice.

Then, I switched around my HD's and kept trying to restart my computer with only individual HD's plugged in. I have 3 total... each with WinXP installed...as I added new HD's I kept WinXP installed on each.

Nothing was working, my computer would turn on, black screen, no beep, and restart.

My friend came over and I believe tried clearing or reseting the BIOS CMOS? not sure exactly (to be honest he told me but I forgot), and EVENTUALLY got my OLDEST, slowest, smallest HD to start in Windows SAFE MODE.

THEN - we managed to add the largest, newest, and what used to be the primary HD (this is the infected one) in the mix, and were able to access my files in Win SAFE MODE... Unfortunately now my computer is not starting up again! I was wondering if I COULD manage to start the computer in safe mode, with my crappy old HD as the primary; if I could use virus removal software on the main HD... but yeah, otherwise I was thinkin of maybe finding a storage HD and just transfering my media if I can get safe mode to work with all 3 HD's

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:38 AM

I think it would be very hard to clean all three installations this way. Your best chance is try to boot in safe mode, get as much data as you can and set up everything from scratch.

However, that leaves still the problem of a CD. As long as you cannot boot from a CD, there is no way you can reinstall.

Are you sure that all your BIOS settings regarding CD drives are okay?

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Yes - but I will check it over this evening again. Im still confused as to why the computer is now havng trouble starting up, the only thing that changed was I attached more HDs and then even with that one single HD plugged in I cant get it to start... I'll fiddle with it more - was gone for labor day.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

It is well possible this is a motherboard issue, difficult to say. If you cannot even get it to boot from a CD there is very little that can be done; it is even impossible to reinstall the OS and it sure points at hardware failure.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

OK, got the computer up and running in safe mode. With my oldest smallest HD as main. as well as the infected HD as slave.

So - is it worthwhile at all to transfer Mbam, or any other similiar programs, maybe a virus scanner or 3 and run scans?

ALSO - I really cannot figure why the computer so unreliably starts up....I mean MAYBE a wire was lose, a jiggled everything, pushed on all connections, and then hit start. Computer restarted once very quickly, then bam, worked. HOPEFULLY it was something dumb like that.

additionally, is it safe to transfer files? Chances of my media (pics\music) being infected? How to approach that?

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

It would be a good idea to start with MBAM. Please do a full scan, include your infected HDD and post me the results.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

I was naughty and scanned immediately the night before and removed 4 infections; altho I believe it was ONLY on my old as heck junk drive.

attached the log that scanned all HDs

Attached Files

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

Try this one as well:

ESET ONLINE SCANNER
----------------------------
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  1. Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  2. Click the button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    1. Click on to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  4. Check
  5. Click the button.
  6. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  7. Check
  8. Push the Start button.
  9. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  10. When the scan completes, push
  11. Push , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
    Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created.
  12. Push the button.
  13. Push

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Frustratingly enough, I cannot get my computer to connect to the internet, I have it directly plugged in. In control panel I am either missing "Network Connections" or errors occur when I try to add a new connection. This is on my old uninfected HD. I will try using another HD that is newer, perhaps that will work.... or perhaps attempt a "repair install" of windows on the old HD to keep my files intact but repair windows?

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

Yes, you can try all that.

How exactly are you connected and are you still using safe mode? Depending a bit on your connection if may not run in Safe Mode Network and no connection will run in simple Safe Mode.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:41 AM

Hi, are you still there?

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#15 J2FcM

J2FcM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yes;

For some reason I can only make the computer start with that specific HD setup. in Safe mode. Haven't been able to connect to the internet, idk what the problem is... I've been tryin to snatch up a copy of XP from my friend since I cannot find the original...well I can, its just busted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users