Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a new Video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

My onboard graphics is.. for the lack of a better word, crappy. I remembered that I have a graphics card packed up in office never used with old PC in 2008 and that it should be at least a step or two up from what comes onboard my current mainboard.

It is an ATI Radeon 9250 Video card and before I start the project of adding it to my machine I would like to ask if it will work.(Is it compatible with my mainboard?)

Mainboard: ECS GOAL3+ AMD Sempron 3000+ 754 SiS 761 GX Micro ATX Motherboard.

The motherboard has many open PCI slots and PCI-e slots[the orange ones] so I am pretty sure it will go fine, just need a second opinion on weather it will work & maybe a basic set of instructions from someone who has more experience than I - I have replaced mainboards, memory, CPU/processor, power supply, but never added a graphics card.

Attached is a photo of the mainboard, just incase it helps. (not my mainboard, just a photo of an identical model found online)

I also DO NOT have the CD including the drivers for the ATI Radeon 9250 - Anywhere a reliable source for the drivers?

Thanks

ChrisMN
Posted Image

Edited by ChrisMN, 24 August 2010 - 12:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

Adding a graphics card is very easy, you simply plug it into the PCI, PCI-E, or AGP slot, load Windows and install the drivers. The only caveat is the case size. If you are using a standard case, the card should fit normally, but if you are using an HTCP or slimline case, that may be another issue entirely if you don't have a low-profile card. For ATI cards, the best place to go for their drivers is ATI.com, for Nvidia, nvidia.com.

Edited by DJBPace07, 24 August 2010 - 12:59 AM.

3939.png

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Case size not an issue at all. Its a beast.

Found drivers on AMD.com and going to download them before I shut down and install hardware.

Thanks! Any issues, I'll be back.

Edited by ChrisMN, 24 August 2010 - 01:02 AM.

#4 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:33 AM

Nevermind... I must not have the right PCI slot, I thought the orance PCI-e slot would accomodate the vid card, hoever the card is like 1cm to long. I think it needs to be installed into a green PCI(or AGP???) slot.

Any idea what this slot is called? or what kind of video card I need to search for that will fit into the other(orange) slot?

Thanks

Edited by ChrisMN, 24 August 2010 - 02:36 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

That is a PCI card.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

Graphics cards go in, from order from slowest to fastest, PCI, AGP, and PCI-Express. Modern cards go into PCI-E, but you can get cards for other slots. If this isn't a gaming PC, it really shouldn't matter.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users