Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot vista with xp need question answered about drivers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mm2200678701

mm2200678701

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

I have a hp dv4 1427nr comes loaded with windows vista. Well the problem is I have hundreds of games that I ran on my xp system. Most of these games even trying compatability mode will not work on vista. So I have watched tutorials and read on how to perform a dual boot. Vista system to include xp. The question I have is when I install xp I will need to get drivers for this laptop again (sound, nic, video) not for vista but for the xp version running correct or no? And if so It is a complete pain in my butt because when you go onto hp's site to download drivers there is nothing really there for my laptop under xp. The laptop was made for vista. So I am asking the only other thing to do is go under device manager try and get the precise product model for sound, video, ethernet, broadcom and graphics model and then go directly to each website and get that driver not for vista but for xp is this correct? Also maybe I dont need ethernet/broadcom drivers due to I could care less connecting to the internet I just want xp for games I have?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hello and welcome.
First, yes, you will need to download all the REQUIRED (notice I didn't say every driver you see) drivers for Windows XP for your laptop.
Second, you should be able to find XP drivers. I'll search and let you know my findings.

Edited by Shadow Bird, 24 August 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#3 mm2200678701

mm2200678701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Okay thank you! You rock!

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

If you have a Windows XP CD, it should have all the required drivers for the operating system to run. Just make sure you run and install all of the Windows Updates. (even the optional software and hardware, after all the security updates.)

If you need drivers for any of your hundreds of games, they should be part of the install package of each game already. (if they even require their own drivers)

I would not be too worried about it...

Edited by AustinTerry, 25 August 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#5 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Austin...... only if you have a XP CD made for your system. Even then most systems come with separate driver disks. MM has those for his VISTA system, but not XP.

MM, I was unable to find drivers for your system (You were right.... HP doesn't have them for XP.) What I would do is download the drivers for XP that are provided on HP's site, Install XP, and try to use the drivers for VISTA on your XP install. If this works, then please post back and let me know. I've done it ONCE on a Dell laptop and it worked (albeit I got the infamous "This Driver Is Not Optimized For XP" pop-up every driver i installed, you just click Continue Anyway.) I don't know if it will work for you. Again, just try it, and let me know the results in a reply.

Edit: Use your VISTA Driver Disk (if you still have it) to install the VISTA drivers.

Edit 2: I caps lock every OS name, don't think I'm being an arse.

Edited by Shadow Bird, 25 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Austin...... only if you have a XP CD made for your system. Even then most systems come with separate driver disks. MM has those for his VISTA system, but not XP.

I have an old retail XP disc, and it does not need any extra driver discs. The proprietary systems like Dell have their little packs of CD's with separate drivers, software etc... (which is what I'm pretty sure you are referring to). Of course the latest/greatest way is no discs at all, only a recovery partition that you have to create your own discs, and those are completely system specific.

So I s'pose the question to mm is, where are you getting the XP from? If you buy a new retail version you should be fine, if you are planning on using one supplied with an old computer, then you will not be able to use the License key anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users