Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 keeps wanting exchange setup after reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 not2much

not2much

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

In a previous topic on BC, a badly messed up situation left me no choice but to back up data and reinstall Vista. When I went to reinstall Office Standard 2007, I discovered the cd case was empty. (Since Best Buy installed the software when the pc was first bought, I had never checked inside the case before.)
A guy from the work gave me one of the company's install cd's for the same version, and he told me to just use my product key when I installed it. I did, and it all seemed fine until I went to use Outlook for the first time. It wanted me to select from one of our company's 3 exchange server locations. I cancelled out, hoping I could get into Outlook and manually enter my pop & smtp settings, but no-go. It won't even let me in to Outlook, as it wants me to set up the exchange server.

So I called Microsoft and paid for a replacement cd. It has arrived, but it is doing the same thing! It keeps wanting to access an OST file and won't let me get in. Does this mean the one from work didn't uninstall completely? I found a removal tool on their site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301, but would like some advice before I use it.

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Edited by not2much, 23 August 2010 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

One would not think that a fresh install of Outlook would know anything about your office exchange servers.
Is this a laptop? Has it ever been taken to your office and connected to the exchange server there?

Try uninstalling it with the tool. Then reinstall and do a custom install. Watch closely during the install and see if it prompts you to do a network install. (I have not installed Outlook 2007 for a while so I am not sure that it does)
See if you can just do a local installation

Hope that helps.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users