Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"dirty" Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chiawaikian

chiawaikian

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

Well for those that are experiencing troubles from time to time and can't seem to remedy the situation. Here is a little known secret of Microsoft Windows software.

Intead of using system restore to resolve some minor/major problems, use the Windows installation disk to help out. I know this trick works for Windows ME and above.

What you do is go ahead and insert the installation disk in your hard drive and restart and boot from the disk. You will go through the beginning process of a regular installation. You will see at the bottum of your screen where it says type "R" to repair, do not type the "R" at this point in time, just type "C" for continue. The very next time you see the "R" for repair, go ahead and type the "R" this time and it will start a repair of all your system files. You will have to have you CD key and such like this. It will seem like the thing is doing a fresh install but, it isn't. All it is doing is removing the dmaged file from you system and reinstalling them from a new. YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ANY OF YOUR INSTALLED SOFTWARE OR SETTINGS!!! The only thing that has happened is the replacing of all the WINDOWS system files. For those of you that wish to try this you will see exactly what i am talking about. If you have any questions about this you can either post a reply or PM me and i will definately answer the questions the best that i can.

I have tried this with Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It does work very well.

Remember not the first "R" , this second "R" is when it will do this for you. The first "R" is for the extremely advanced and for Microsoft technical support.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck. :thumbsup:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27108

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

Hi there, sounds great and just what I need, but I've heard that a "dirty install" will mess up my IE6, Windows Media player 9 and all my MS critical updates :thumbsup:
I have WinMe and missing a few things after a clean install.
thanks,
newbeee

#3 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

Great idea... how does your Device Manager show after the repair?? I get complaints from customers that they have repaired their win XP (I ask them if they did a system restore, and they say.. no, just a repair).. And their Device Manager shows that many drivers have became uninstalled (Ethernet, Sound, etc.).

I do not believe they "repaired" their XP, just system restored. And if your device manager checks out... this helps me out alot. Thanks!!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:31 PM

Microsoft calls it an "in-place upgrade (re-installation)" here's the KB article that covers it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

I prefer this guide: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If problems with devices occur in Device Manager - they're driver related and were affected by the repair install.

Integral with a repair install is a visit to Windows Update once you're done - because your Windows CD has one version of the OS files - while Windows Update has another.

Whoops! Gotta run!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users