Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible RAM leak?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 murphey317

murphey317

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've already posted a thread in the Malware Removal forum and they couldn't find anything. So I'm trying here. For a few months, I have scanned and cleaned files and software (according to Bleeping Computer recommendations), and have not been able to find a solution.

I'm using Vista Home Premium (SP2) x64bit, with Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.5ghz, and 4gb RAM.

The issue is this: When I boot my pc, things are fine and RAM is at a minimal level. However, when I leave my pc on for a few days, I notice my RAM has increased to about 70-80%. If I continue to leave the pc on for a few more days and start to use applications, RAM can get up to 90% or higher.

Rebooting the pc is the only (temporary) fix I have found so far. Although, if I shut down when the pc is at around 90%, the boot up takes a bit longer. At the 80%+ mark, the computer is very laggy.

Please advise, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

Probably there are more applications out there, which have bigger, or smaller memory leaks, than those, which don't.
Which means, that after opening and closing number of programs in the course of a few days, your available RAM level will keep decreasing.
There is nothing super extraordinary about it.
Depending on a particular computer and what programs are used, it'll happen to any computer sooner, or later.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

My question would be... Why do you leave it on for days at a time? If it is just sitting there idle, then shut it down when you go to bed and/or work. Not only is it just wasting electricity, but it could getting a little too warm. IMO you should shut it down when not in use. Not only will it prolong the life of the hard drive, memory, etc., but give it a chance to cool off on a regular basis. (not to mention that would also solve your original problem.) :huh:

#4 RingBearer

RingBearer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Do you have Firefox open? and have you customized FF with any addons? I 've had lots of problems with memory leaks with FF. Often its due to FF addons. Sometimes a FF update addresses my leaks but then they seem to come back again after awhile. It usually is one of the addons causing problems though. Since addons are indispensable (at least to me) in FF . I just accept the leak.

But usually a simple reboot of FF will temporarily get rid of the leak too. Have you done that? Try using the task manager to close FF.

There was also a problem a while back where Vista was having memory leak problems due to Java. Is your Java edition up to date?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users