Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Plists Mac OS X Snow Leopard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

So, I attend a high school called Peoria Notre Dame, and this year they started a 1:1 laptop program where every student has to buy a Mac. My family had to pay for the Mac, but the school technically "owns it" and we are just using it. Then they give it to us for free after Senior year.

Since they "own it," they installed a program called LanSchool that gives the teachers power to lock our displays, keyboard, and mouse. They can log our keystrokes, limit what websites we can visit and what applications can run on our computer. But, the program is also useful for me because it makes it super easy for the teachers to hand out to us documents and stuff we need for class. So, I don't want to get rid of it completely.

I started out by trying to kill the program process in the Activity Monitor, but the process keeps restarting itself with a different PID number.
After a lot of googling I became aware of Property list files, or Plist files. There are two for LanSchool, one in /Library/Launchdaemons and lon in /library/launchagents

Launchagents
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.lanschool.student.plist</string>
<key>LimitLoadToSessionType</key>
<array>
<string>Aqua</string>
<string>LoginWindow</string>
</array>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Library/Application Support/LanSchool/student.app/Contents/MacOS/student</string>
<string>/agent</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Launch Daemons
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.lanschool.lsdaemon.plist</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Library/Application Support/LanSchool/lsdaemon</string>
<string>/daemon</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Now, these were the original plist files, except that i changed one thing: I changed "keepalive" to false on both files. Shouldn't this make it where I can just kill the process and it won't restart? After changing them, I used the Launchctl load command to load the plist file in launch daemons, but not the one in launch agents because I got the error "nothing to load" or something. Once I restarted, it was as if nothing changed. The program process would keep restarting after I would kill it.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, or knowledge on what I did wrong?
Anything at all, no matter how off topic or vague is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

<<Then they give it to us for free after Senior year. >>

That statement indicates that the laptops are under the control of the school...as such, no one here will assist you in overcoming controls and security measures the school wishes to implement concerning the use of system properties..

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

That's how I see it.

Louis

#3 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

I had a feeling that that might be the case. I should have read the rules. I would rather have no one else respond but thanks for reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users